Chapter 33

recherché

(adj.) carefully chosen, rare or exotic

After that day, it was very hard to make Hiccup leave his hut and hang out with you all. At least that's how it was for the first few days, he would stay in his hut and rarely come out. The only time you would catch a glimpse of Hiccup is when he was coming to get food from the clubhouse, but beside that you needed to visit him in order to see him.

Thankfully the gang apologized shortly after, though that still didn't do anything good. Hiccup was back to his usual self and barely talked to anyone. Even so you still kept him company. When the others came to see him, they would often be greeted with harsh hospitality, aside from that Hiccup spoke normally with you even if it were just a couple of words exchanged. But it was like that with Astrid as well.

About a week later you managed to drag Hiccup out of his hut to spend some quality time with the gang. You assured him that he didn't have do anything but to just be there. When he finally showed up, everyone was ecstatic. Even if they were met with Hiccup's confused staring, the atmosphere was more joyful when he was around. But Hiccup didn't seem much content. He would just observe and not say anything, which was really contrast to his standard chatty personality before.

But whenever someone said something funny, you would see Hiccup try and suppress a smile. It was like that for some time until gradually you would hear Hiccup's laughter pipe in along with yours.
Slowly but surely, Hiccup was coming back to normal.

Toothless on the other hand was miserable. He wasn't able to see Hiccup at all because Hiccup was still absolutely terrified and didn't want to even come a step near his dragon. You didn't make any progress since the day in the Dome, but you were determined to change that. After that day, when the gang saw how Hiccup reacted, they were scared to even mention Toothless.

Since he wasn't able to fly on his own, someone had to take Toothless on flights because he is a dragon after all. So even if Toothless didn't fancied you after Hiccup's fall, he still appreciated that you were flying with him. And it was quite fun.

As the days went on, Hiccup's mad faze passed and he was a lot more comfortable with you and the gang, at least that's how it seemed, you didn't really know Hiccup's real thoughts. What you didn't fail to notice is how keen on Astrid he was. Hiccup would laugh at her jokes the most, even if it wasn't something very funny. You'd catch him gaping at her with what looked like a love-struck expression. His eyes always following her around. And it made jealousy boil in your veins. You didn't want to accept it, but it seemed as if he sort of likes Astrid more.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" You said, watching as Astrid went to retrieve her axe. The two of you were in the arena throwing axes in the barrels, well only Astrid, you were just there since she asked you to join.

"Sure. What's up?" Astrid replied, making her way towards you.

"Um, have you seen the way Hiccup looks at you?" You thought Astrid would be clueless about the whole situation, but that wasn't the case.

"Oh my gods, you noticed it too?"

"I thought it was just my imagination!"

"No!"

Both of you were exclaiming incredulously by this point and you were relieved to find out that she was aware of it as well.

"I think he likes you." You questioned, your voice trailing off at the end. You didn't even want to think about that possibility. Simply because Astrid was exceeding in everything and it was easy for anyone to fall for her.

"Well... I don't know if you know this but Hiccup did have a major crush on me back on Berk." Astrid said and hurled the axe, earning a perfect, bullseye. But it felt as if that axe had landed in your heart and cut it in pieces.