Chapter 32

philocaly

(n.) the love of beauty

"So you mean to tell me that I befriended a Night Fury?" Hiccup breathed out and you nodded in confirmation. You started off with the miraculous story of how he met his dragon best friend. You knew it like the back of your hand by now, each time you and Hiccup were sitting under the sunset, you'd casually ask him to tell it again and each time he complied. The story never got old and it always left you marveled like it was the first time hearing it.

"Yes, and he likes you very much." You added and Hiccup rolled his eyes, not even trying to hide his displeasure.

"Dragons don't have feelings. They'll gobble you up the second they see you." Hiccup disagreed as expected. It was weird hearing him say these things when you were so used to Hiccup always being ecstatic about dragons and learning everything about them.

"And you're telling me that Berk lives in harmony with dragons now?" Another one of Hiccup's question followed, they seemed neverending. As usual you nodded. He'd occasionally repeat what you said with utter disbelief, you assumed he didn't really believe you that much since his face was constantly scrunched up with doubt.

"Yes and its all because of you. You're a hero there." You smiled, hoping the nice words wouldn't pass his head like your previous failed attempts earlier. Hiccup simply dodged them.

"The only thing I am is a coward. I couldn't even kill a dragon." Hiccup's gaze fell down to the floor in disappointment, but you placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. You wanted to kiss him and tell him what he's saying is wrong, but you had to accept the fact that you're practically a stranger to him now. It would only drag him further away if you took any like that approach now. But you were determined to change that.

"No, Hiccup, you chose not to kill him." You argued, imploring him to accept the truth. For a while Hiccup didn't say anything after that.

"Toothless is your best friend Hiccup and he misses you a lot."

"But I don't." He sneered. "I don't want to be even remotely close to that unholy beast."

You closed your eyes and let out a sigh. This is going nowhere. Words aren't going to convince Hiccup that dragons aren't dangerous anymore, he needed to be around Toothless to see that for himself.

"What..." You started but struggled to put your words into a solid sentence. "What do you actually remember then?"

You needed to find out a little bit more about Hiccup's past. Why he doesn't know anything about the Edge and why he thinks the gang torments him since they've never done that, not once since you met them.

"That I'm a good-for-nothing fishbone that works in the forge because my dad doesn't let me go help with the dragon raids cause he think's I'll get eaten." Hiccup said and you struggled to recall when was there ever a raid on Berk. "Oh and my life is basically a living hell because of Snotlout and the others."

It was weird hearing this from Hiccup. It sounded like something from another reality. You thought that the gang were childhood friends that were always together since day one, but it might've been a complete different story. You couldn't imagine Hiccup bullied by the others since they're so kind and generous towards him now.

"They've changed. You're not getting bullied anymore..." Your voice trailed off. Who knows how traumatized Hiccup has been because of them, and it stung a bit that you never know about this particular part from Hiccup's life. You guessed that maybe he was ashamed to admit it.

Once more, Hiccup remained silent. Until you heard him whisper 'doubt that'.

"Look, Hiccup, you're amazing. You're not some scrawny boy you used to be back in the past. You're stronger and bolder now. And I don't know how many times I have to repeat but you have friends that love you, family, the village adores you, the dragons too and...so do I." When you finished talking you realized that you've been rambling this whole time and Hiccup just stared back.