Chapter 22

fernweh

(n.) a crave for travel; being homesick for a place you've never been

[Flashback]

(Y/N)'s POV

Dragons are incredible creatures. 

Though not many people think the same.

Ever since I could remember, vikings and dragons have always fought with each other. Sure its not acceptable that the dragons destroy our properties, but they're wild animals who are searching for food and our livestock proves to be an easy catch.

The vikings on the other hand, ferocious and heartless, kill the dragons without any hesitation. Its unacceptable that they don't put much thought on the dragon they kill, how it might have been looking for something to bring to it's hatchlings.

Because there isn't any mutual understanding between dragons and vikings, the war between them still continued even after decades passed.

But that's not the case with me. Growing up every child, along with me, was trained to fight. Whether it was dragon or another person. Knowing how to defend yourself was the key to surviving.

Even after the countless times I've trained and exceeded my limits, I still preferred to stay at home when dragon raid were happening outside. This led to people believing I was fearful of the dragons, but that wasn't true, I was fearful of killing them.

I'm not sure when this phase started, my best guess would be when our chief decided that we should start training against dragons. We were then taken to an arena instead of our usual outdoor training place, my companions showed so much passion for destruction when fighting the dragons, they charged at them not caring about the burning fire coming their way.

In the beginning it was just self defence and evading their attacks, but after they learned the dragons tactics, the kids outsmarted them and killed them with no remorse.

I couldn't stand to watch that anymore and ditched the classes which made my parents truly angry. They loved me so much when I was still fighting with other kids and winning, but after quitting, I felt their interest in me slowly dying. I was an only child and they had so many high expectations for me, yet I ruined them with one decision. 

But after spending a few days here on the island I had more time to process everything multiple times, if none of this happened, my father would've definitely gotten rid of me by marrying me to some rich man when the age is right. 

I scowled just by the thought of that. Never in my life have I ever wanted to end up like that, I want to travel and explore, to discover new things.

Even if the banishing helped me avoid those consequences, I still couldn't forgive Alvin for what he has done to me. And I swear to Odin that I will get my vengeance no matter what.

But in the meantime I had other problems to worry about, like how I will remain alive on this island with nothing on me, not even a small knife. I had to rely solely on my memories from when I was learning how to make a fire with stones, it was difficult at first but after trying for a couple of hours, I got the hang of it.

I found a cave that I used as shelter, though it was a bit far from the river and I had to walk a few miles to get water when I'm thirsty. For food I resorted in fruits, mostly berries and since I didn't have any rope I couldn't make a trap to catch a wild animal.

All the while of living here, I couldn't stop thinking about the navy blue dragon.
See, you'd think after forming a connection with the dragon it was instantaneously going to become my best friend, but the reality is far from that. Instead the earliest days with the dragon were spent in distance just observing one another.