Chapter 1

serendipity

(n.) finding something good without looking for it.

You were peacefully laying next to your dragon Crystal and just enjoying the sound of rain outside. You've been scouring your daggers for quite a while now and it became too boring to continue.  Sighing loudly you tied the perfectly polished knives on your thighs and tilted around to face Crystal.

"Hey." you gently petted your dragon. "Do you want to go for a quick walk?"  Crystal roared in response and slowly stretched.  

"Yay! You're the best!" you said happily and giggled.   Crystal nudged her head on your stomach and roared happily from the compliment she got.

Both of you walked out of the cave and started walking. The gray clouds above you seemed like they are not leaving any time soon. The rain rapidly fell down and as it went it pounded down on the many trees surrounding them. And the wind flew around carrying the fragrance of the nature, though you would expect a cold wind, but it wasn't , it was a pleasantly warm wind gradually increasing its speed as minutes pass by.

This was your ideal weather since you were little.  It was sad that it didn't rain quite frequently like the way you wanted to, but you had always been happy when it did!  You loved the feeling of the rain drops colliding with your face.  It made you feel so relaxed and calm.

You lifted your head up and twirled around while laughing, Crystal mimicked you and started running in circles.  All of the sudden the cloudy sky lit up by the strike of lightning and loud thunder followed afterwards. That clearly got your attention and your grin began to stretch from ear to ear. 

"Oh my gods!  That was amazing! Did you see that girl?" you exclaimed still looking at the sky. When Crystal didn't replay you looked at her, surprised to see her ears perked up. Crystal looked very distressed for some reason and rapidly looked around.  Before you could react Crystal sprinted away somewhere.  You quickly ran after her, the mud splashing around with each step you took.  Even though you were a fast runner, you were no match for a dragon's speed. The only thing you wondered at the moment was was where Crystal was headed to because this has never happened and it definitely peeked your curiosity.

Crystal stopped running and when you reached her you leaned on her for support, the running made you out of breath and now you were breathing heavily.  While resting you looked around and saw something laying on the seashore.  Your eyes widened and you gasped loudly when you realized it was a body covered in mud, but even if you were surprised you took out your sword straightaway.

'It could be a trap so just in case.' was your only worry at the moment while you started approaching the body with Crystal closely following from behind.

Out of nowhere, some bushes nearby started rustling and a black Night Fury emerged from them.  Your jaw dropped at the sight, you had only heard that they existed, but never been face to face with one, and on top of that on your island!  For some seconds you stood there completely mesmerized by its beauty, but you were brought back to reality when the dragon started snarling.  What confused you the most is that the dragon walked to the person and stopped closely next to the person laying on the ground as if defending them.

You took a step forward and the dragon growled again.  It lowered its eyes to your sword and back into yours.  You got what it meant and threw the sword away far out of reach, you moved again and the dragon growled once more. You sighed in annoyance and looked down at yourself if you had any other weapon because the dragon obviously won't let you near the person till you removed them all.  The only remaining thing were your daggers tied around your thighs. You threw them away and they fell in a puddle of mud, that made you groan internally because you had to polish them again.