Chapter 8

abditory

(n.) a place into which you can disappear; a hiding place

There was nothing like sitting on the edge of the cliff and enjoying the winter breeze, sure it might seem terrifying to have your legs dangling below but at the moment you didn't really care. A small cherry blossom petal flew beside you and a weak smile appeared on your face when you remembered how Hiccup showed you this place not too long ago.

-----

The moment you arrived at the place you almost fainted because it was the most magnificent place in the world. Hiccup and you landed near the edge of a steady cliff and your lips were risen in a joyous grin since you first saw the place from the sky.

"Oh my gods..." You dismounted from Crystal and gaped at the scenery around you. Just in front of the cliff the rays of the sun were slowly disappearing behind the mountain, adding a bit of orange shade to everything. Below the cliff there was a vast river and some dragons were drinking from it.

The thing that made you tear up was the forest of cherry blossoms you were currently viewing, they nearly reached the end of the cliff and made a river of pink petals below the trees. It was like a dream to see a tree like that again, let alone a whole forest. You twirled around happily, pink being the colour you saw the most. Without hesitation you let your body fall free, in just a second it came in contact with the soft ground underneath you. Rolling around laughing, you breathed in and savoured the smell as much as you can.

"This is life." You said a bit too loudly. Closing your eyes you felt the pleasant breeze pass you and at the same time making the cherry blossom petals land on your face. From the scent to the touch, everything reminded you when you first found a tree like this and it felt like you were experiencing childhood again.

"I knew you would like it." You heard Hiccup say, just as you opened your eyes he sat down next to you. Toothless and Crystal chased each other around you two and made the petals fly everywhere.

"Like it? I love it!" You exclaimed and puffed a petal that fell on your nose.

-----

Crystal had been laying beside you till now but for some reason she straightened up into a sitting position. You didn't care enough about that so you concentrated your thoughts about something else, but they were abruptly cut off when you heard a dragon landing and a voice speaking afterwards.

"You really need to find a better hideaway."

Even without looking you knew that voice belonged to Hiccup and what he said was entirely right, internally you cursed yourself for not thinking a better plan but in that moment all you wanted was some sort of an escape from all your worries and at that time this place was the perfect solution.

"What do you want, Hiccup?" You spoke without looking at the boy behind you, a hint of annoyance was noticeable in your voice. You wanted to somehow convince him to leave but that would be hard, considering he went to these lengths just to find you. Without a second doubt you pushed yourself up in a standing position and walked to Hiccup with a glare plastered on your face.

"I want answers. Why are you acting this way? Did I do something? Did I offend you in any way? I just want things to be like they used to." Hiccup said, murmuring the last sentence. His voice held such sadness and pleading that it made you step back a bit, all this time you had cared about trying to hide your feelings towards him that you didn't realize how hurt he actually was.

"It's just-" You sulked and for a second you internally put yourself into his position and thought how hard it would be for you if someone, one day decides they should ignore you without any explanations. Your heart felt a million times heavier and you can only imagine how Hiccup must've felt all this time. Once you looked up to his sad green eyes you felt the leaden feeling overwhelm your body.