Chapter 28

zenith

(n.) the highest point, culminating point

You stared with goggling eyes at the boy in front of you, the shock never leaving your features even after seconds ticked by. Erland uttered a simple hi and gave a short wave while you were still comprehending his presence here. Though you stopped the intense gawking and broke off the trance after noticing a sharp axe clutched in his hand.

Your mind started racing, wondering that's the real reason Erland was here and you were desperately hoping that it wasn't for something malicious. Maybe he wanted revenge for being treated unfairly and he caught you when you were the most defenseless so you tried to pull the door as discreetly as possible. But in the end Erland still noticed that and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"What-What are you doing here?" You asked anxiously, not able to stop your eyes darting back and forth between Erland's face and the axe he's holding. He must've noticed your eyes shifting occasionally and followed your gaze to where you were looking. Erland's whole face softened when he realized what was causing your distress.

"Oh my gods, (Y/N), I'm not here to hurt you." Erland said with utter disbelief laced in his voice. He took a step forward after that, seemingly trying to prove a point and even if his words sounded reassuring enough, you were still cautious and started closing the door even further.

"(Y/N), I came to apologize." Erland breathed out and you stared at him askance, not fully believing him with that weapon in hand.

"And this is just a gift! Don't worry!" Erland exclaimed speedily, from the tone of his voice and the honesty in his face, you could only assume he was telling the truth. Even so, it wasn't enough to make you let your guards down.

"I know this might seem a little surprising-" Erland began but then his voice trailed off when the sound of thrumming footsteps started echoing loudly through the island and you both turned around to find fuming Hiccup approaching fast.

"You." Hiccup's voice came out as a hiss when he arrived in close distance. "What are you doing here?"

The glare on Hiccup's face was so deadly so much so that if looks could kill, Erland would be long gone. The moment you and him locked eyes, a shiver ran down your spine when you saw the burning hatred hidden behind his narrowed eyes.

Erland let out a sheepish laugh and rose his hands in defense. "Wow, calm down Hiccup." He said, attempting to diminish the situation in a joking way.

But the stern expression on Hiccup's face didn't shift a bit and then Erland spun around fully, now fixating all of his attention on the brown haired boy instead of you. "I came to say sorry Hiccup. A-and I brought a gift!"

Erland hurriedly handed Hiccup the axe he was holding and watched as Hiccup just looked at the metal object without batting an eye. He remained completely unamazed by it and slowly, the smile on Erland's face began fading.

"How...considerate." Hiccup finally uttered a response with a slight scowl and his reaction wasn't something unexpected. Of course he didn't take liking to the gift because axes weren't really Hiccup's cup of tea. And you could only assume that Erland just randomly picked this weapon and gave it to Hiccup without putting much thought whatsoever.

"Also I don't need your apology. Now leave." Hiccup said coldly, shoving the axe back to Erland's chest and pushing past him without seeing the shock that crossed Erland's face in a flash.

"What? I walked miles on the frozen sea just to come here and apologize to you and this is how you repay me?" Erland scoffed bitterly. When he said how he got here, you couldn't help but wonder whether that was a lie or not. Because the water was frozen solid after all and boats could hardly move in it.