Chapter 18

selcouth

(adj.) unfamiliar, rare, strange and yet marvelous

"Dad!" Hiccup exclaimed cheerfully when his father came into view. Stoick snapped his had at the mention of his name and his whole face lit up when he saw Hiccup running towards him while you walked a few steps behind. Your lips twitched a grin when Stoick enveloped Hiccup in a tight hug, making him hitch his breath as if he suddenly couldn't get enough air in his lungs.

Family reuniting was always this amazing, though you never experienced it like its normally supposed to be, but it was good seeing the others seeing their parents after a long period of time. You were thankful Fishlegs decided to visit his family because it made the rest do too.

"Can't breathe." Hiccup chocked out sounding almost as a wheeze. As if on cue, Stoick realized and immediately let go of his son just in time you arrived. He smiled warmly when he first noticed you standing next to them, you greeted him with a simple handshake and a grin matching his own.

Stoick then turned to face Hiccup, "You seemed to forget about your old man these days." He burst out in a throaty laughter, though there was a hint of sadness camouflaged somewhere in there. A shower of shame washed over you when you realized that the cause for that was entirely you and all of your problems.

"I'm sorry dad, but we have a lot of things going around on the Edge." Hiccup replied looking full of guilt which was also noticeable in his timid tone. Hiccup gave an apologetic half smile and that earned him a pat on the shoulder from his father.

"I was just messing with you, boy." Though everyone knew it was far from that, but it looks like the chief decided not to dwell on that theme anymore because he clapped his hands together and spoke. "Dinner is almost ready and I expect you both to join me."

Both of you bobbed your head and you replied, "We would be delighted to sir!"

"It's settled then." The chief said with a pleased smile etching on his face. And with that he left attending his duties while you and Hiccup stood in the middle of the village looking like some lost strangers in a vast forest. Scanning the area around, you were hoping to find Crystal but she was nowhere in sight and neither was Toothless, but it didn't worry you a lot and you decided that they were surely chasing each other somewhere.

"Wanna take a walk?" Hiccup offered and with that you began the stroll to the other side of the island. It was a good time filled with deep conversation and occasional giggles, you took a hold of his hands and intertwined your fingers with his, it felt revealing to walk and not fear anyone watching you because after all you were in the forest. The alone time passed quickly and suddenly Hiccup reminded you of the the dinner both of you had to attend and the hike was cut short because of it. Sure you were a bit disappointed that the moment couldn't last longer but you remembered you promised Stoick so if you didn't show up it will be a cruel act coming from you.

And with a single shrug of your shoulders you both made your way back to the village. Upon arriving you saw that it was not as entirely full as earlier, just a couple dozen people idly roamed around. Soon you were nearing Hiccup's house and before you walked in he stopped you.

"Listen, are we going to tell my dad about...us?" He questioned and you bit your lips. Sure the gang already knew, but they were your friends and this is Hiccup's dad you're talking about. If he doesn't like you then that means saying goodbye to the relationship.

"What do you think?" You decided to ask, Hiccup's opinion on this theme was important as well and very crucial, so you internally decided that whatever he says, that will be the final answer to this all.