Chapter 2

wanderlust

(n.) a great desire to travel and rove about

The sun that had been hidden these two days is now rising from the horizon with it's orange rays spreading around the darkened sky. And the gray clouds that had been covering the view are now long gone, nowhere to be seen. You were glad to witness the beginning of the new day.

Watching the sun rise as you flew with Crystal was always special for some reason. You usually don't go on morning flights, but today you woke up early and figured why not.

The cold morning wind was hitting your face like invisible waves and you spread your arms while inhaling loudly. Your face held a grin that reached from ear to ear with eyes closed shut so you could enjoy the feeling. Crystal started falling down and because you already knew her plan you clutched your saddle and took a deep breath, preparing yourself for the impact.

Crystal dived into the water and fortunately for you two there was a pack of fish in front. Crystal got close enough to grab plenty of them in her mouth and she immediately rose up to the sky. You exhaled the breath you were holding and moved your wet hair out of your face.

"Good job, girl!" you finally thanked your dragon after stabilizing your breathing. Crystal only twirled her head in response.

By the time you reached the cave the sun has turned bright yellow and the weather was warmer. You walked towards the basket and Crystal was not far behind. What made you stop walking was when you noticed that Hiccup was crouched down next to Toothless's tail and was tinkering with it.

"Oh hey! You're up early?" You asked with a surprised tone because you didn't expect Hiccup to be awake and he was.

"Well the earlier the better, am I right?" Hiccup simply said not looking away from the tail.

"Yep." you agreed, you were next to Toothless so you began stroking him Toothless on his head and waited for Hiccup to finish what he was doing. It looked like he would be there for some minutes so you just went to Crystal.

"Finally done." Hiccup exclaimed and stood up just as you reached Crystal. "I was just adjusting his tail, we were planing on leaving, but it would be rude of me not to say goodbye, so we waited for you two." Hiccup clarified and you slowly turned around. Thankfully he wasn't facing you to see that your smile dropped. You walked back to him and the two of you finally made eye contact.

"That's so sweet of you, Hiccup." you tried to tell him with the tone you usually talk, but there was a hint of sadness in there. Fortunately for you, Hiccup didn't notice that.

"Thank you for everything (Y/N)! You're such a nice person and I'm really glad we met." He said sincerely and held out his arm. You forced a smile and shook his hand. "The pleasure is mine, Haddock."

Crystal came as well, she started walking around Toothless and let a series of whimpers. You and Hiccup let them say their farewell for some minutes and the time came he really had to go.

"C'moon girl, they have to go." you tried to separate your dragon from Toothless. You waited some moments and Crystal finally moved away. Toothless lifted off in air and Crystal hollered. Right away you turned around and slowly made your way to the bed, when you came near it you flopped down and leaned on the wall next to the bed.

What you were oblivious to was the fact that Hiccup had turned around to wave, but you were already gone.

You didn't expect that you would feel this down and didn't stop questioning yourself why you're even bothered if Hiccup left, it's not like he would come back or anything so that's why you decided to calm yourself and just accept the fact that things will go back to normal, being only with Crystal.

You shook your head trying to get rid of these thoughts and looked at Crystal who was still standing in the entrance of the cave looking at the sky. You walked to your dragon and patted her head when you got there.

"Do you want to go for a ride?" you asked her softly. For a response Crystal just walked away and left you there standing alone. "Alright then. Uh, if you need me I'll be in our training place." you waved at Crystal and left.

You weren't mad at all, you understood the way Crystal felt. After all this time alone she finally made a new friend and now it's gone forever. The pain must've been unbearable. But you couldn't relate to her because you and Hiccup didn't really got to know each other that much and today may have been the last day you two would see each other.

You started walking to your planned destination and just stared blankly at the ground in front of you. Because of the breeze the leaves one by one fell down leaving the trees empty. With each step you took the fallen leaves made loud crunching noises and it was kind of pleasing in some way, it made you a bit calmer. There were also birds chirping far ahead of you, but loud enough to be heard from where you were.

After some minutes you came in your training place. It really wasn't anything special, it was just a circle of trees which had wooden shields pinned on them. The shields were engraved with many small scars from all the time you had thrown daggers at them.

Next to you there was a pile of swords, spears, bow and arrows, each differed from the rest. You had the same routine every time she came there. First thing on your schedule was dagger throwing. You threw the three knives in three different shields and stood shocked.

None off the daggers came close to the center and the thing is, in the last few years you had never missed the center, never. A loud growl escaped your lips and you shook your head. You snatched the daggers one by one and walked backwards to a distance that you was pleased with and threw them.

Missed again.

And no matter how many times you threw them you still missed.

"What the hell is happening to me?!" You yelled to no one in particular. You had a pretty bad temper and anger started boiling in your veins. You jogged towards the pile of armory and started throwing them all around until there were no more remaining weapons near.

You started breathing heavily from all the throwing and just looked around the mess you caused by your sudden rampage. Apparently Crystal had heard your shouting and came right away because you saw her land next yo you. She nudged her head on your stomach and looked at you with worry in her blue eyes.

"I'm okay, girl." you tried to assure Crystal, but she believed none of it. Crystal licked your face till you fell down on the ground. "Crystal, please!" you giggled and tried to push away Crystal who moved back as soon as she saw your smile. Crystal let a loud gurgle sound which resembled a laugh.

"You think this is funny, huh? Take this you nasty dragon!" you laughed and sprayed Crystal with the slimy liquid from your hands.

Crystal darted away and you quickly got up and sprinted after her. You couldn't catch up with her of course and the only thing close to her was her tail so you clutched onto it, at the same time being careful not to stab yourself with the spines. Crystal yelped in surprise and flew up in air, you did not expect that and held on the tail for your dear life.

Your hand started slipping and a sudden panic overwhelmed you. "Uh, can you lift me up... please?" You pleaded and a second later you were flung into air and back onto your saddle.

"Thank you!" You petted Crystal on the head and expressed your gratitude.

After that there was a complete silence. You leaned forward and closed your eyes. The two of you weren't really flying anywhere with a plan, you just waited to where the sky would take you. Apparently you dozed off because you were woken up from the rough landing. Once you opened your eyes you realized that the moon had replaced the sun's place.

You looked around and realized you aren't home or anywhere that you know.

"Well I guess we'll camp here...Wherever here is." You hopped off Crystal and scattered around looking for small bricks. After you found enough you piled them up in a small circle and signaled Crystal to light them up. You laid near your dragon and as always Crystal wrapped her wings around you, taking your into a soft embrace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~