Chapter 5

nemophilist

(n.) a person who loves the forest for its beauty and solitude

The day after, you and your dragon got up earlier than usual and headed to your planned destination, you calculated that you would arrive there midday and your assumptions were correct. Dragon's edge came into view and you couldn't suppress the smile that was formed on your lips. 

When you neared the island Crystal went to the training ring straight away. As you were nearing it your eyebrows furrowed together because you expected everyone to be there like yesterday, but Astrid and her dragon were the only ones there. 

"Hey." you awkwardly greeted her and hopped off Crystal. Internally you cursed yourself for arriving at the wrong time and suppressed a grimace from appearing on your face, instead you still kept your sheepish smile. Astrid turned around and greeted you back after that she threw an axe in the barrels stacked in front of her, to that you only rose a brow at her accuracy because it hit right in the center.

"You're here early." Astrid commented and smiled. Suddenly you stopped what you were thinking and frowned because you were convinced she actually meant it when in reality she was probably joking.

"I am? I should've came later. I'm so sorry! I could probably go back and come later?" you quickly apologized and the thought of being a burden was the only thing you could think of at the moment. You took some steps back, ready to leave but Astrid laughed and waved her hand signalling you to stop.

"No no! I was just kidding." Astrid tried to reassure you still keeping her laugh but it slowly died down before she spoke again."Plus we'll have more time to practice." After she said that Astrid went to retrieve her axe. Once she went to the barrels she pulled it off with ease and you couldn't help but be amazed at her strength.

"Yeah, uh, where are the others?" you finally asked the question that was on your mind since you came. 

"Probably sleeping." Astrid replied and threw the axe with more force this time, she went back to retrieve it with a mad look on her face but quickly changed it into a happy one when she came near you.

After that neither of you said anything for a while and you were looking around, thinking of possible ways to start a conversation when suddenly your gaze fell on the a Deadly Nadder standing in the corner and looking at the way Astrid threw her axe.

"I love your dragon, what's his name?" you asked and Astrid spun around, looking at you like you said the funniest thing she had ever heard.

"First of all its a she." Astrid laughed and you corrected yourself right away. "Her name is Stormfly and she's a Deadly Nadder. She may not be rare but she's the most beautiful, for me at least." Astrid said and patted her dragon, that had just came. You searched around for your own dragon and found her on the opposite side, she was just boringly laying on the ground not caring enough to go to Stormfly.

Your eyes darted up to see a Terrible Terror flying down towards Astrid and it seems like she heard it as well because she spun around just as it landed on her shoulder.

"Mail." was the only thing she said before taking out the small paper that was tied on the dragon's leg. You stayed silent, waiting for Astrid to read it and it wasn't much before she spoke again.

"It's from Berk, they need us, but it doesn't say why." Your smile fell in a thin line and you noticed a hit of worry in her eyes. The name sounded familiar and you remembered that Hiccup had mentioned that name when you first met him. Astrid scrunched the paper in her hand and before you had the time to ask any questions she ran away, at the same time telling you to get on your dragon and to head east and that the gang will catch up with you.