Chapter Ten - Guilty Comfort

Start from the beginning

Noah pulled me in. "friends, huh" he murmured.

"Uh huh" I choked, except now I was more confused than ever.

How could my favorite song actually be written about me. How was that a possibility, especially when Xavier and I hadn't even liked one another until he'd returned a week ago. The song was a love song and Xavier had already admitted he didn't want me. None of it made sense.

I was mesmerized until the end of the song, stuck in a trance of confusion. My eyes were firmly locked on Xavier. When the song ended, I gasped like I hadn't been able to breathe the whole time.

After the concert ended Noah and I headed to the backstage entry. Once inside I saw Xavier and ran up to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. He returned the embrace, pulling me in even closer.

"You were amazing" I exclaimed in his ear.

"Thank you" he murmured back.

"No, thank you" I whispered, as I pulled back enough to look into his eyes. "For the song"

Xavier smiled, but then his eyes drifted past me. He placed me back down and I turned to face Noah, who had a face like thunder.

"Would you mind getting your hands off my girlfriend please" Noah almost shouted, his eyes dark and angry.

"Girlfriend?!" Xavier and I said at the same time, tones matching.

I took a step back from both boys and tilted my head. When had Noah and I become a couple?

"I'll see you guys inside." Xavier said sharply as he turned and walked down the corridor.

"We've been on two dates Noah" I exclaimed, Keeping my distance from him. I wasn't ready for this. My mind was a mess.

"I'm sorry. I like you a lot and I guess I just got carried away" Noah replied messing his hair up.

"I like you too, but I don't want to label this. I just want to have fun" I whispered.

Noah nodded and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Alright, I'm sorry. Forgive me?"

"Yes, of course. It was just a silly misunderstanding."

I smiled and grabbed his hand "now, come meet the guys."

We walked into the room. The guys were sitting around on sofa's beers in hand. Xavier wasn't in there. Jay smiled at me and Noah and walked over. He introduced himself to Noah and they stood talking for a while. I made an excuse about needing to use the bathroom.

I had to find Xavier. I had to know why he'd written such a special song about me. What did he mean by it.

I left the room and walked through the endless corridors of backstage. I'd been here for mom and toni's concerts once upon a time. I'd stopped going after the incident though, it had been five years and nothing had changed.

When I finally found him he wasn't alone when. A group of attractive young girls surrounded him giggling and flipping their hair. He looked up and smiled at me then excused himself. He walked over and shoved his hands inside his pockets.

"I didn't realize you and prince charming were a couple."

"I don't know what we are. It's our second date." I murmured.

Xavier shrugged and then leaned in. "Don't hold back on my account."

The tension grew between us. He was standing too close, I could feel the warmth of his minty breath on my face. His eyes held mine, they danced, he wanted to say something I could sense it. But for some reason he held back.