Little Surprises.

"Do you not understand that I don't want to talk?" Dan mumbles, taking his place on the sofa, leaning on the arm so he's facing the wall.

"Come on, Dan," Phil says, squatting in front of him. "You're being immature."

"She's being a-" a string of obscenities aimed at me begins, but fortunately, I'm unable to process them after the third or fourth insult. Tears flood my eyes as I lean against the door frame, out of Dan's line of vision. He doesn't know that I'm here, not that he'd care.

"Everyone has arguments, Dan. If I remember rightly, you two were loudly expressing your love yesterday, and today you hate each other." The laughter that Phil's statement brings on is instantly muffled by my sobs. I've been living with the boys for a few months now, and they're great. They're my favourite people on the entire planet, and I can't think of anything worse than losing one of them. Or both of them for that matter.

I don't even remember what we were arguing about at first, it was something to do with the bills- as you'd expect.

Then it escalated to something a bit more serious.

I suggested that we all moved into a bigger place, and when Dan asked why- I told him it's because I'm pregnant.

Oops. You see, Dan wasn't too pleased about this. It was obviously his child, but I don't think that he wants to have a kid yet, so went off on a temper tantrum.

If anyone's having a temper tantrum, it should be me, because I have the right to when I'm carrying a mini Dan in my belly.

But I'm too consumed with crying right now to think about anything else, like giving the baby up or talking it through with him.

I don't see, personally, why he's getting all worked up about this, I mean, it's his kid. It's not like I decided that this should happen.

Men.

But right now, all I'm praying is that it will blow over, and everything will be back to normal.

Except it never will, because I've got a baby now.

Soon, they'll be four of us in this tiny apartment.

Hence why I'm desperate to move out to a bigger apartment.

The suggestion just annoyed him even more, because obviously bills and food costs...God. I'm just so annoyed!

What right does he have to yell about me when all this is his fault! If you get what I'm saying...

"Dan! This is your responsibility. You made this happen, so maybe you should start acting like an adult- for once in your lifetime, if you're even capable of that!" Phil isn't one to lose his temper, so hearing him stand up for me makes this whole thing even worse. I can't control it, my sobs get louder as I slouch against the wall and fall into a pile on the carpet.

A sharp intake of breath sounds from the other room and I know that they're both aware of my presence.

Dan starts mumbling under his breath about something or another, and Phil mutters about how he'll finish this later and scoots around the corner to me.

"Shh..." He says, running his fingers through my hair. "He didn't mean it...we'll figure this all out...don't worry..." He snaps his head to the side. Violently he starts to shake his head disapprovingly. "Don't come near her." He says sharply, drawing me close to him.

"Phil, what are you doing?"

"Don't you see what you've done? You've broken her!"

"I didn't...that's not what I-"

"No, go. She'll speak to you when she's ready." His hand returns to stroking my hair and he pulls me close so he can whisper in my ear. "Just let me know when you're ready."

"I'm ready." I say with a sharp intake of breath, wiping my cheeks.

***
"So you're sure this was an accident?"
"Well, it's not exactly like we planned it." I say harshly.
"That's not what I meant. I mean...it's mine, right?"
"What kind of question is that?" I place my hand over his, and although he obviously contemplates drawing away, he stays put. "Of course it's yours."
"I just...I just needed to know. And you want to keep it?"
"Yes." I state matter-of-factly, not leaving any room for negotiation.
"Okay then." He kisses my cheek, sliding his lips down my cheekbone until he reaches the side of my lips, where he pauses, breathing heavily and deeply. "If that's what you want, I guess that's what we're getting."
"Dan," I say, feeling his tiny smile as my lips brush against his. "I love you."
"I love you too," he closes his eyes and puts his palms on my stomach. "And I love you, too."
His lips make their way fully to mine, and he kisses me with such passion and an intimacy that I thought I would never get again.
"To us," he whispers, stopping to smile.
"To us."