A Star in The Dark

It's about 10 o'clock and everything is dark. The only source of light is the glow from the streetlights. I can't afford a taxi, so I have to walk home through the dark streets of London with a pair of neon green heels in my hand.

"Look guys, where's your boyfriend then, you pretty thing?" I'd recognise him from a mile off. He has a taunting yet overly patronising voice that is overly irritating. It takes a second to look over at him and all my suspicions are confirmed. Pete Smith- the high school bully. You wouldn't think he was that bad if you were just to see him in the street, but three years of bag opening, name calling and locker smushing begs to disagree. He's a lot taller than I remember, however one thing that hasn't changed is his ability to be followed by massive groups of brainless thugs.

"Hey Pete, it's nice to see you again."

"What you doing out this late, you might get hurt."

"Just go away, I don't have any money or anything worth taking." I say with my head down as I attempt to cross the road. Of course, his entourage block my path. "Seriously?"

"You really should have a man to protect you; you've never had any of them though, have you?" He's right, even now I don't have a boyfriend. I've haven't had my first kiss yet, let alone having a boyfriend.

"Go pick on someone else."

"She hasn't!" Laughter erupts through the eerie street. "Sweet little, Y/N." He says, pacing towards me. "I bet she hasn't even had her first kiss. She hasn't changed a bit since high school." I tense as he stands before me, eyes level with my own. His breath smells strongly of alcohol and death, but I dare not lose my focus.

"Go away, Pete." I plant the end of my heel on his chest and push him away.

"You know, I thought when you'd left school that you'd actually pay attention to boys. You always said," He begins to mock my tone. "School is for learning, not gallivanting around with boys." Everyone starts to laugh again but me. "But school's over now. Tell me, Y/N, Have you got a boyfriend?" My face stays expressionless as I stare into his cold brown eyes. "No? Fine, Have you had your first kiss yet?" My expression stays stable. "No? You hear that? She hasn't even had her first kiss yet!"

"What? I had mine when I was 13!"

"That's nothing, I was 11 and she was 16!" This game seems to continue throughout the boys for long enough for me to step back and pace away. Everything goes silent.

"You're not going anywhere yet, Y/L/N! I bet you've never even been to a party."

"Where do you think I was dressed like this, you bozo." A chorus of 'oohs' breaks the silence.

"I don't know, maybe the library!" The boys start turning around and high fiving each other, obviously proud of Pete's response.

"I'm surprised you even know what one of those is." Everyone turns to me in shock.

"What did you just say to me? Did you just imply that I'm stupid?" Shuffling throughout the crowd makes it seem as if everyone's started placing bets on how long it will take for him to punch me. "Never mind, at least I've got a girlfriend."

"Oh there you are." I'm so confused, but as I look back I see a man in his mid-twenties walk towards me, his blue eyes shimmer and his straight, black hair shines in the moonlight. "I thought I'd lost you." He walks up behind me and puts his hands around my waist. "And who do you think you are?"

"Pete, what about you?"

"Phil. I'd prefer if you didn't talk to my girlfriend like that." My heart jumps and again, I'm overly confused. He's so pretty, what is he on about? He must be drunk, but at least it stops Pete for a second.

"Girlfriend?" He stutters.

"Yes, Girlfriend. Come on, let's go." He leans down and whispers in my ear. "Just play along. Smile." As commanded, I smile convincingly. He tilts my head gently with his hand and before I know it, he's kissing me. I have no idea where this random gesture of affection has come from, but I know I'm not complaining. I feel so special, my heart's pounding and I feel amazing. They say that there are sparks when you find the person for you, and now I know what they mean. I look smugly towards Pete and we walk away, the man's arm stretched across my back.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Y/N."

"I'm Phil, it's great to meet you. You'll thank me later."

"Can I thank you now?" He smiles.

"Sure," I lean up and kiss his cheek. "Do you fancy a Starbucks?"

"Anytime."