New Neighbours - Part 6

It’s been three days since ‘the incident’ and neither Dan nor Phil has spoken to me since. They won’t answer my texts or visit me and I’m not sure why. Maybe I fell asleep outside my door after Dan said goodbye and it was a dream. There’s only one way to check. The old lady, Miss Abbot, is going on daily shopping trips recently, so if I catch her at the right time- I can see if she remembers me.

It’s exactly 12:36. Promptly, she climbs up the stairs.

“Hi, Miss Abbot! Would you like some help with those bags?” I say, casually.

“Thank you, Y/N. That would be lovely.” Inside, I’m dying- it was real. However, on the outside, I’m calm and collected. I crouch down and pick up a bag in each hand. Luckily, she doesn’t live too far away- which is good because I managed to pick up the bags with countless bottles of washing up liquid. We reach her apartment and she unlocks the door. “Thank you for your help, if you could leave them on the counter for me.” I nod and follow her instructions. “Would you like some tea?”

“Oh no, it’s okay thank you.” I contemplate whether or not to ask about Dan. “So, Miss Abbot…You know, Dan?” She nods gracefully, whilst sipping her tea. “Do him and Phil often stay in their apartment all day?” She considers an answer as she puts down her tea.

“The last time they stayed in their apartment for that long was in the summer, when Daniel and his girlfriend separated.” Stunned, I gesture for her to continue. “Yes, Daniel was heartbroken. Phillip comforted him for the whole week.”

“Thank you, Miss Abbot. I really should go now, thank you again!” I race down the stairs to their apartment and knock violently on the door.

“It’s open.” I creep in and head towards the boys.

“What’s up, guys?” At once, two desperate faces glance towards me. It’s as if a piece of me has been missing for all this time, a piece of the jigsaw, as in that split second- I felt complete. They rise and race towards me.

“You didn’t leave us!” Phil says, jumping around.

“Why would I ever leave you? You two mean everything to me.”

“I thought I could change your mind.” Dan says emptily.

“What do you mean?” I say, confused.

“When he came out to speak to you, Dan told you how much it would hurt to lose such a new friend.” Pfft, yeah. He definitely said that. “Then you went into your apartment and we haven’t seen you since, but now you’re here and the gang’s back together!” I throw a disgusted look towards Dan and look back towards Phil.

“Yep, we sure are. How about we take a photo to celebrate?” I set my phone on a timer and place it on a shelf that looks down upon us. It’s a beautiful photo, but is so fake. It doesn’t have anywhere near as much real joy in it. “It’s beautiful. Okay, I’ve got to go shopping now, anyone want anything?” Phil shakes his head.

“I better show you where the supermarket is.” Dan says. “Do you want to come, Phil?”

“I’m good thanks, I’ve got a video to edit! See you soon, guys!” Phil retreats to his bedroom. I look at Dan.

“Let’s go.” I look away. “Bye, Phil!” The door closes behind me and the mood changes completely. “Where have you been for the past three days?”

“What?”

“Don’t reply to my texts or phone calls, Lie to Phil about what happened and don’t visit me? You knew full well that I wasn’t going.” He sighs and grabs my wrist.

“Be quiet for a second.” As he directs me down the stairs, I can’t help but notice my rekindling feelings. “You’ve got to listen to me now, okay? I can’t tell Phil because then he’ll treat you differently. I know it sounds stupid but I’m being serious, you two are like best friends- you saw the way he acted when you walked in. He’ll slip away from you; I think it would be best for us to tell him together.” Ugh, Dan is such an idiot. But he’s an idiot with a point, if we tell him together- he’ll be happier…I guess.

“Okay, I’m sorry. But that doesn’t explain why you didn’t reply to my texts.”

“I was busy comforting Phil, he missed you. You can’t blame him though; I missed you too-even though I knew you weren’t gone.” He smiles and kisses me. There’s no denying he’s perfect.

“I missed you too.”