The Sparkly Sharpie

So there’s a boy who comes in every Wednesday with his laptop. I don’t know who he is, but I know his name’s Phil.

“Y/N, I’ll take over out front, alright? You go out back for a bit.” My opportunity to see Phil is slipping away, so I quickly think up a decent excuse.

“It’s okay, Megan. You’re always out front, take a break for a bit! I won’t tell the boss.” She smiles and walks closer to me.

“Who is it, Y/N? I did exactly the same thing with my boyfriend, Ryan. Is he cute?”

“Megan!” I gently whack her forearm. I look around and turn to her. “He’s so adorable! I know his name’s Phil, and he always comes in for about thirty minutes to play on the free wifi, if that’s anything?”

“Phil?” She scrunches up her face as she thinks. “Oh my god! Tall, black hair?” I nod. “I’ve seen him! Always asks for a Salted Caramel drink and sulks when we say we haven’t sold them in over a year?”

“Yeah, he’s the one!” I swoon and lean on the counter, which ultimately ends up with me dipping my green Starbucks apron in a pot of Whipped Cream. “I can’t go another week without talking to him.”

“Dang, you’ve got it bad.” She sighs, forcefully hitting my shoulder. “Love struck…it’s okay; do you remember the Salted Caramel recipe?”

“Well, sure, I guess. You’re not saying that I make one, are you?”

“I won’t tell the boss if you won’t.” She winks and grabs the ingredients together. “Don’t ruin your chance, Y/N/N. Remember, Megan knows best.” And at that moment, he walks through the door. My heart stops as he flicks his fringe and crosses to the counter.

“Hi! Can I take your order?”

“Yeah,” He says, locking his flawless eyes on mine. “Can I have a Large Salted Caramel please?”

“Of course!” His face lights up.

“I didn’t know you still sold those?”

“I’m not supposed to, but I won’t tell anyone if you don’t.” He laughs and runs his fingers through his hair. “Please can I take a name?” I say casually, hiding the fact that I know his name.

“Phil.” He says with a smile.

“Suits you. Okay, that will be £3.20.” He hands me his Starbucks loyalty card. “Awesome, thanks. I’ll make this for you as quickly as I can.” I catch his hand as I give him back the card, and feel shivers throughout my body. I quickly assemble the drink and get my special green sparkly sharpie. Delicately, I write Phil’s name with a heart. “A special drink for Phil?” He looks up from his phone and lifts his laptop case.

“I, um… Don’t have a spare hand, would you mind bringing it for me?” He says, showing a perfect smile.

“Oh, yeah, sure.” I turn around to Megan and gesture excitedly, before picking up the cup and following Phil to his desired seat.

“Well look at that, there’s an extra seat. You wouldn’t mind sitting here for a bit, would you?” I’m internally screaming right now, but I’m too afraid of losing my chance to show my excitement.

“Of course!” I let him unpack before I put down his drink. He surveys the cup and stops his finger on the heart.

“A heart? Special sparkly pen? And a special drink? Wow, talk about ‘everyone’s a star’ treatment.” I laugh and look him in the eyes.

“You’re just that little bit more special than most customers, I guess!” I’m so nervous, it’s insane.

“You’re just a bit more special than most staff…Hey, can I ask you something?” I nod, terrified. “Can I get a Salted Caramel again someday?” I sigh, slightly disheartened.

“Sure, it’s part of the job.” I say glumly.

“I mean with you, on a date.” My heart lifts and I see Megan dancing happily in the break room.

“Of course! You’ll have to excuse me, there’s a customer, see you around.” I put a piece of paper on the table with my number and cross over to the counter. After taking an order, I turn my head to Phil and smile to myself. “Megan knows best.”