New Neighbours - Part 4

It’s a matter of seconds before Dan and Phil get hounded for a photo, I step back and pretend to text someone. The girl smiles, jumps around and squeals. The boys are so good with people, they’re so welcoming and she seems to be having the time of her life. She waves and walks towards me, with the biggest grin I’ve seen in a long time. I decide to torment her a bit, I pull her aside.

“Hey, those boys- do you know them?” She gasps and looks insulted.

“They are Dan and Phil. They’re so famous and mean everything to me.” She gathers herself and continues. “You better get a photo soon, even if you don’t know them- you’ll regret it later.”

“Thanks for the advice.” I smile as she flicks her pony tail and saunters off, waving her Pink iPhone with joy. I head over to the boys. “Oh my god, you’re Dan and Phil! I’ve been watching your videos for ages, can I have a photo?”  I say, mimicking the girl.

“Sure!” Together, they turn around and face me. “Oh, it’s you.” I’m slightly offended by this.

“It’s me? That girl was so rude to me. She told me to get a photo- or I’ll regret it later.” I point my phone upwards into the classic ‘selfie’ position. “Just a heads up, I’m a photo person. Expect a lot of photo booth stops. Smile!” We all smile as my first picture of my new life is taken. It’s beautiful and will be perfect to start of my collection. “Thanks, it means a lot.” I start tearing up dramatically. “This whole experience is so fantastic!” Phil puts his arm around my back in an attempt to comfort me, and Dan just stands there- staring at me.

“Come on, Y/N. It means a lot to them. You can’t be so rude.” Dan’s stern words hurt. Perhaps he doesn’t realise just how much this does mean to me, and that I am actually crying with joy. These boys are my only real friends in months.

“I’m sorry that you can’t tell I’m being deadly serious. I think we should go shopping another day.” I put my hands in my back pockets and walk out of Phil’s embrace. “See you later guys.” I turn around the corner and run back to my apartment. Obviously, I start doubting my decision to leave on such a stupid note, but I’m a girl- I’ll find an excuse. I’ll say I’ve been here before with boys and know that only pain can come from here.  I enter the pin code to get into the building and climb countless staircases to reach my door. Then it hits me, I left my keys in their apartment. In an instant, I’m violently sobbing on the ground, situated outside my door- shaken with an unexplainable feeling. To reach my house, I’ve got to get my keys, which ultimately involves seeing Dan again. The floor starts moving, which means someone’s coming up the stairs. Only three people live above us, a business man that leaves at 5:30 in the morning without exception, a lady who has only left her house once in my entire residence and an old lady who definitely doesn’t travel at that speed. Someone sits next to me and shushes me gently.

“It’s okay, Y/N.” I rest my head on his shoulder and immediately burst out into further tears. “No! Don’t cry...” He’s got my phone and is showing me a photo, but I can’t see it through my endless tears. He wipes my eyes with his arm and cuddles me, like a mother lion. I feel him move slightly to wave or something, probably to tell Dan to come up. “Have a look at this; we were all so happy- genuinely happy.” I manage to stop the tears for long enough to see the beautiful photo- our beautiful photo. “What happened?” The lack of movement implies that he gestured for Dan to stay where he was rather than to move, or maybe he was waving to a neighbour as Dan couldn’t care less about me.

“Is he here?”

“No, I promise.” This triggers even more tears which he catches with his hand.

“I left my keys in your apartment.”

“Is that all this is about, Y/N?” I flick his head and laugh.

“Of course not, but we’ll need to get my keys before Dan gets in. Anyway, it seems that Dan is so different when we’re alone, or there’s the three of us, compared to when we’re in public.”

“He thought you insulted a fan.” Phil interrupts.

“No.” I brutally reply. “I was a little annoyed with her, yeah. And yes, the tears may have been a little too much. But he doesn’t know what it’s like, having nobody to rely on, no friends and no family that will accept you. He has three million fans that adore him. He’ll never know what it’s like to have nobody. Top that with being a girl and then it all adds up. Friends plus female equal massive breakdown.”

“You know something? Regardless of what happens, he fancies you- you didn’t hear it from me though! I know you like him back too…”

“No I don’t!”

“Well who do you fancy then? Me?” I want to say yes, but we both know that’s a lie. I love Phil, but not like that.

“Phil…” I feel awful, like I’m hurting a puppy.

“Y/N, Don’t get me wrong. You’re stunning, but Sarah is my soulmate. I’m more of the best friend type, that’s why I’m here.” He’s right, he is my best friend.

“Dan hates me though.” I cry, tucking into Phil.

“No I don’t.”