Two Left Hands

"Are you sure about this?" I ask, trying to grab my vanishing friend as she fades into the crowd.

"Lighten up, Y/N! What's the worst that could happen?" She says, skirting further into the crowd. The concept of pushing people scares me, because I'm worried I'll knock someone over, but it's worth it right now- because if I'm not careful, I'll lose my friend and drown in the sea of gyrating bodies that swamps the room.

"I can think of a lot of bad things!" Avoiding a stray glass of pink juice that sits in my path, I rush a little faster, desperate to avoid being left alone.

Someone nudges into me and I spin around, trying to find the culprit. But when nobody seems to be remotely interested in me, I pass it off as a drunk dance move. Quickly I realise that not only am I the only sober person in the room, but I've lost my friend.

When a brief scan of the room shows no results, I sigh and turn, intending to leave the club before someone pukes on me.

Muttering 'Excuse me' as I bump into various dancers and wade my way through the crowd, it only takes a few minutes to reach the other side of the hall- the side with the exit.

However, it seems as though I'm not going to be able to leave, as an even bigger crowd has materialised by the doors - great.

Letting out an exasperated sigh, I go to turn around- and hit someone right in the nose with my hair.

The speed with which I turned must have packed a lot of power, and caused them a lot of pain, so I swivel on my toes and turn my attention to the unfortunate victim of my hair abuse.

I cup my hands around their chin, which is a good head higher than mine, and start to stutter an apology.

"I'm... I'm so sorry," I scream above the pounding music. "I didn't mean to, here," reaching into my bag as I speak, I pull out a plaster- only to realise that they're not bleeding. "I don't know, you might want a plaster." I laugh, feeling pretty confident that they're going to be too drunk to hear me.

"Why don't we go outside? I can barely hear you," he says, taking my hand and guiding me outside- confidently gliding around the guests.

The cool air hits me like an unexpected concrete wall, suddenly and all at once. A single glance down confirms my suspicions that whoever I'm with is yet to release my hand, which makes me smile a little.

"I'm Y/N," eventually, the words slip out, breaking the silence between us. "I'm so sorry that I abused you with my hair."

"It's not one of the usual ways that girls try to get my attention," he jokes, and for the first time I can get a good look at him. Even in my heels, he's about half a foot taller than me, standing at 6'2 or 6'3, he's wearing a long sleeve white shirt with an alien emoji printed on, tight, black jeans and a flattering, yet kind of menacing, leather jacket to top it all off. His eyes and hair, both a dark shade of brown, are beautiful, flattering his face and casting long shadows on his cheeks. As he laughs, a small, defined dimple forms, giving him the ability to be adorable and stunning at the same time. "I'm Dan, by the way."

"Do you get a lot of girls flirting with you then?" It came out sounding a lot more possessive than I'd intended, but he doesn't seem to notice.

"A few, but I only pay attention to the special ones."

"I know that was supposed to be a compliment, and I really appreciate that, but that made you sound like a right jerk."

"Maybe I am a jerk. For all you know, you could have just walked out of the club into a dark alley with a psychopathic murderer."

"Perhaps. Maybe I should be more wise with the men I walk out of clubs with. Maybe I should go and have a look for someone so drunk that there's no chance of them causing me any harm. Or I could just take my chances out here. I mean, as long as you're not a psychopathic murderer." A moment of silence passes between us and I shiver at a breath of freezing air. "I mean, you're not, are you?"

"You'll just have to find out," I shiver again, and he moves his hand to my shoulder, pulling me in a little. Placing my head on his chest, I make note of how his heart beat mirrors that of the bass, and stare up at him.

"Have you ever danced outside a club?" I ask absently, not trying to imply anything, just out of curiosity.

"No, I'm normally either so wasted that I can't even walk, or I'm desperate to get out. Have you?"

"No, this is my first time coming to a club. It's my birthday, see, and my friend insisted on dragging me out here."

"Would you like to dance then? As a birthday treat?" I can't help but laugh, but seeing the vague hurt in his eyes, I focus on him and the sincerity of the offer.

"I would love to. Just a warning, I've got two left feet."

"Well I've got a left hand, but I'm a fantastic dancer, so I can't really pity you much."

"I'm left handed too," I say, slipping his hand off my shoulder and standing in front of him. My other hand slips away from his grip and I wave it a little for dramatic effect. "So, together we've got three left feet and two left hands. Great," somehow, we move in sync- him sliding his hands around my waist and me locking my arms around his neck- so we don't have any awkward arm tangles.

As one, we begin to rock backwards and forwards until I realise that neither of us are remotely talented at anything that involves dancing, so we pause our 'dance' and just stand in our awkward embrace.

"This is nice, you know. I'm glad that my friend dragged me here tonight." I stifle a smile before I carry on. "Why are you here anyway? I mean, it doesn't sound like you're into clubbing."

"Girlfriend dumped me, I figured that it would probably be safest for me to come and get wasted in a crowd of people in a similar state." Regardless of his nonchalant demeanour, I know that this probably isn't the best moment to flirt, but I jump on the chance anyway.

"So the position is available?"

"No sorry, I've got my eye on someone." I almost pull back in disgust, before I realise what he's getting at.

"Oh, I see. Well, maybe you should ask her, I'm sure she'll be interested."

He doesn't say anything, only leans down and places a sweet, lingering kiss on my lips.

We stand for a while like that before I pull away, my head reeling excitedly.

"Do you think she's interested?"

"Very interested."