"Told em 9." Jeff answers. "Gives you two enough time to go sightseeing." He looks over to me, and I share a smile.

I haven't said much to them, but that's because I don't know what to say.

"Dawn, can you help me with the dishes?" Gen asks once we finish breakfast. She walks towards her kitchen. Jake and his uncle are lost in conversation, so I nod to her and pick up the dishes from the table.

She begins to fill the kitchen sink with water and pours the soap into the sink to create suds. "You can just dry. I'll have Jeff put the dishes up once we're finished." Gen says. I nod and begin drying after she washes each plate.

She glances to me, and I begin to sweat in place. I hadn't realized up until now that I hadn't had a girl to girl talk. I can feel the tension rising, and I hope she doesn't come out me for being so quiet.

"You're good for him, you know."

I widen my eyes but look down at the sink.

"I haven't ever seen his eyes before. Jeff says it's a difficult subject, mostly involving Jake's parents passing. Told me not to mention it to Jake, but I'm nosy." She shrugs. "He seems happy with you though."

"He is, and so am I."

"Good. I think the problem with Jake is he's afraid of being vulnerable with someone because when he was- his parent died, and then his ex left him-"

"Do we have to talk about the past?" My voice clips. I don't understand the logic behind Gen probing Jake's life story. I already know the contents, but she makes it seem like she's venting it out like it's her life.

"Sorry. I just... I worry for him, but I guess I don't have to when you're by his side too. You're strong. I can tell you won't let anyone get by you about anything."

Though I was annoyed with her at first, I smile slightly at her compliment. "Thank you."

After we've finished tidying up, Jake comes to me with his shades now on, "Ready?" He asks, holding my hand already and pulling me towards the front door.

"Where are we going?" I furrow my brows, and try to look behind to Gen who is still occupied in the kitchen; she doesn't meet my eyes.

"Sightseeing." Jake gleams. "We'll be back in a few hours." He calls to his uncle and Gen.

He slams the front door, and begins to lightly jog down the stairs which makes me run after him, "Why are you in such a hurry?"

"Because there's a New Years festival downtown. They have it every year. It's my favorite." His smile widens. I've never seen him so excited before about anything really, so I return his smile, and I let him whisk me away.

Once we're in the car, I speak once again, "Do you think they like me?"

"Who?"

"Who else, dork. Your aunt and uncle."

"She's not my aunt." He corrects me, and I roll my eyes. "Not yet at least." He shrugs his shoulders.

"Anyway, do you think they do?"

"You've barely spoken to them." He scoffs lightly.

I let out a gasp and begin to frown. I look out the car window, and I want to hurl myself out this car. "That's hurtful to say."

"It's only the truth, but hey-" his hand massages my thigh over the console. "Gen seems to like you. Says you would give her the run of her money. Uncle Jeff is just rough around the edges. He hasn't said anything bad about you; just you're a bit quiet." My eyes water and I don't know why. I think it only upsets me because I can't control how shy I get.