Ch.63: With or Without You

With or Without- U2

"See the stone set in your eyes. See the thorn twist in your side. I'll wait for you. Sleight of hand and twist of fate. On a bed of nails she makes me wait. And I wait, without you."

-

Jake P.O.V.

Once Dawn leaves the room, I begin to recollect my thoughts on what has happened in the last 24 hours. So much shit has happened, that it's even hard for me to stay calm, but I have to stay strong for her. I may be in a lot of physical pain, but lord knows what's going on within her.

Why didn't she not want to go home? What happened? Is her mother still with that guy? Because that would be fucked up. I understand her anger towards her mother, but she must let go of the hate and move on. There's only so much pent up anger that can be in someone's body. I'm the one to speak though..

I was incredibly mad at Alice, but how can I stay mad when all she's down is for me and Dawn. She saved us, and for that I enterally owe her in many debts. If only I wasn't in this much of bad shape, I would be by her side protecting her for what's to come. Ledger doesn't forgive, and when he comes back from the police station; he will seek her out. Which means I need to be in tip top shape if I am to protect her and Dawn. Especially Dawn.

He almost did it. He almost did the unthinkable, and if those alarms didn't go off, I'd probably kill myself because of the regret and guilt, but then I wouldn't want her to be alone. She doesn't like to admit it, but I know she has severe depression; it's been built upon her father and mother's mistakes. Especially her father. His abuse may not have left any permanent marks on her body, aside from that scar on her stomach that I don't think she thinks I see- and of course her stables in her head... but this man has left a bruise on her heart. She should be able to trust him. Her dad, but instead she's left with fear.

Anger builds inside me, and if he ever lays a finger on her again, I will not hesitant to beat the living shit out him. Let's make him see how it feels to be broken.

How can he say that I didn't truly love her, he doesn't know shit about me!

"You okay there?" I turn to the side to see Jesse.

"I'm fine." I grumble.

"Are you sure, your scowl doesn't help." He points to my eyes.

I relax my face; if only my glasses weren't shattered on the floors of the Underground. My eyes began hearting as soon as we left that place, but I'm been trying to rest my eyes as much as I can. The lights strain them, and I haven't been without my glasses more than five minutes... unless I was with Dawn.

"Um.. Ree and Dawn are talking in the other room." He walks closer to the bed.

"Who the fuck is Ree?"

"Reese. I mean. I.. I call Ree." His voice becoming more confident in the end.

I nod in understanding. So the plan did work.

"She asked if I can help with the wounds. I know a thing or two- considering I hope to study medical science in the future." He tries to smile, but I don't smile back. I don't know the guy, and I don't care to know him. I don't care for friends, aside from Dawn and Alice. Though Alice is my cousin.. so she doesn't count and Dawn is my love.. so I guess she doesn't count either entirely. Casper was my friend... still is, but it's kind of hard when Alice and him are no longer together.

"Okay." Is all I say.

"Do you think you can flip over?" Jesse requests, as he pulls the stool from a desk that's in the room.