Ch. 33: We Don't Talk Anymore

We Don't Talk Anymore- Charlie Puth feat: Selena Gomez

"Cause even after all this time I still wonder, why I can't move on, just the way you did so easily."

---

My legs lifted to each step towards my front door, my head and heart were bruised from Jake. Everything I thought was possible was plainly impossible. How could Jake even have feelings for me? How was I so naive to believe that? What made me believe that it was okay?

Another tear fell from my eye, down to my bare foot. I was such in a rush, I didn't bother to put on shoes. My eyes were on floor, and it seemed my head didn't want to lift.

Those simple shared moments, the way he would hold me to him to keep me safe, the way his fingers would tremble for what I thought was nervousness. It was nothing of the sort. The way he kissed... my chest continued to ache as the memories played in my head.

I will not say the L word.

My hand reached for the doorknob, surprisingly, it was not open. Usually if my mom is home it's open.

I grab my keys from my bag, and open the door hastily. The house looks untouched. It seems my mother hasn't even stepped foot in the house since last morning. Usually everything is skewed. Along with her many of shoes that she throws aimlessly around the house. I pick up her mess before I leave for school. However, there's nothing to clean.

---

I lay in bed all day. The rain reappears from outside. I hear the door downstairs open and close. Soft footsteps make there way up the stairs. "Dawn?" My mom's voice comes out through my door.

"Come in." I say above a whisper.

She opens the door. Her eyes are tired. "Mr. Rogers had a stroke last night. Sorry if I worried you."

"It's fine." I wasn't worried. Especially since I know what she did to my phone, but I have no energy to argue with her about. Not when Jake and I are most certainly nothing after this morning.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I say. My eyes don't face her, as I face my wall. Half of my face is on my pillow. "I don't feel good."

"Alright. I'll let you rest up." She closes my door.

Another tear falls off my face.

---

1 week later

Everything seemed to be a bit better. My heart still ached, but I knew this was only the beginning. Today was the day Jake came back from suspension.

I didn't expect to see him so soon. He was in a hallway. A smirk spread across his lips as he looked down at a girl.

My heart continued to crack under pressure, but I didn't want Jake to have the satisfaction. I kept put where I walked.

Jake whispers something to the random girl in the ear. She giggles sweetly. I walk past them in a rush.

Once I get to my locker, I see another person I've been trying to avoid.

Dawson.

He's healed up some since 2 weeks ago, but he still looks like he's been beaten up recently. I want to cringe away in a corner, but he stops by my locker. "Hey." He says nonchalantly.

I ignore him.

"That's how it's going to be?" He laughs sarcastically.

I shut my locker, and start walking to my first class. He grasps my wrist easily. Squeezing it hard.