FORTY-NINE

"Are you kidding me?" Aurora muttered, anger seeped out of her as she flipped open the book. 

"Is there something wrong, dear?" Professor Umbridge asked Aurora, her sickly sweet smile plastered on her face as she smugly watched the black haired girl trying her best to contain her anger. Fred turned his head around to share a worried look with George and Lee before he quickly looked back as he heard Aurora replying.

"Yes, well, many things actually," Aurora laughed bitterly, "But, I guess the main one is that there's nothing in here about using defensive spells."

Professor Umbridge let out a small high-pitched giggle, "Using defensive spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would feel the need to use such spells in my classroom."

The students in the room looked between their fellow friend and the Professor.

"We're not going to use magic?" Alice Spinnet asked, she was sat at the table at the very front of the classroom. 

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

Aurora chuckled bitterly as she glared at the woman, "What use is that?" she asked, Umbridge's attention flew back to her, "If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free."

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my classroom," Professor Umbridge yelled. Her usual high-pitched voice deepened for a moment before she cleared her throat, "It is the view of the Ministry...that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient enough to get you through your examinations...which after all, is what school is all about." 

"Surely the whole point of Defence Against the Dark Arts is to practise defensive spells?" Fred commented, students nodded their heads at his statement.

"Oh, are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Mr Weasley?" Professor Umbridge asked in a bittery sweet voice, "Do you expect to be attacked during my classes?"

"Well no but-"

Professor Umbridge quickly talked over him, "I do not wish to criticise the way things have been run in this school. But, you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed. Not to mention," she gave a nasty little laugh, "extremely dangerous half-breeds."

Aurora clenched her fist as she raised her voice, "Don't you dare talk about him like that you filthy-"

"Do not threaten me, child!" Professor Umbridge roared, she composed herself as scanned the faces of the seventh years, "As I was saying...as long as you have studied the theory hard enough-"

"And how's theory going to protect us for what's out there?" Aurora asked, interrupting the Professor just how she has done many times to the students. 

Professor Umbridge clenched and unclenched her jaw, the plastered her fake sweet smile on her face as she replied, "There's nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"