Dutch van der Linde: Civil Agreement

Start from the beginning

"Please, take a seat. Care for a drink, Mr van der Linde?" you asked politely as you walked towards the bookshelf and he took a seat at the table.

"I would like that very much, Miss L/N" Dutch nodded politely as he sat down comfortably. You had to hand it to them, these three had manners. You poured two whiskeys before placing them, and the bottle, on the table and sitting down opposite the man.

"You wanted to talk to me, well...talk" you ordered, leaning back in your chair and bringing your glass to your lips.

Dutch paused for a moment, he breath hitching in his throat as he met your gaze over the brim of your whiskey glass. You raised an eyebrow at him, encouraging him to talk, as you placed the glass back down on the table. "To be clear, we aren't here to start some kind of gang rivalry" he assured him, taking a sip of his own drink.

"I would hope not. It would be very rude of you if you came into my home, sat on my chair, ate my food, drank my alcohol, spoke to my family, and then declared a gang war on us. So, why are you here?" you asked, leaning forward in the table, your gaze never leaving his.

"My men have been searching for work but whenever they find a possible job, you and your men seem to always get there first" Dutch explained his reason for meeting with you and you just smiled like he had amused you.

"We have equal opportunities here, there is nobody to blame if we take the opportunity first. Well, nobody beside yourselves perhaps" you shrugged, smirking slightly as sipped from your glass again. You didn't know this man or his gang, but if somebody had a problem with the way you operated you would give them the same treatment.

"You are suggesting that we need to be faster if we want to make a living?" he asked, raising an eyebrow, wondering if you were questioning their competence.

"You do not get into this life without knowing the difficulties. We are fast and efficient, I won't ask my men to change that about themselves. It's a dog eat dog world, after all" you told him, your face completely stoic.

"Of course not, but perhaps we could come to some sort of agreement" the man suggested, lifting his glass to his lips and taking a sip.

"It is a free country, Mr van der Linde, and we intend to be free. The law has a right to try to stop us, it's their duty after all, but another gang of criminals does not. If they want to stand in our way, that is their choice, but we will run them down" you threatened, leaning forward on the table again, your gaze still not leaving his.

"A gang of criminals? I prefer to think of us as the only true Americans left" Dutch laughed, shaking his head.

"I do not live in denial about the present or in fear of the future, we can control neither. All we can control is ourselves. If we die, we die free. We do not step back and allow another gang to get their boots wet because they feel threatened. I also have no problems with sharing an area with another gang and even splitting the profits if I know they can be trusted. But if you do not think that this country is big enough for the two of us, you can go home and get your men, come back here and do your worst. Your face is not too pretty for me to put a bullet in, Mr van der Linde" you warned him, keeping your voice low and threatening as you leaned towards him on the table.

Dutch genuinely felt threatened at your words, he knew that you wouldn't hesitate to rip his camp apart if you had too. Luckily he wasn't here to start a fight, he actually wanted to show that he could be trusted and now he knew that you were willing to share the land and the profits, willing to work together, he was glad that he did come to your camp today.

"I don't want to start any trouble, Miss L/N, I can assure you that. If you are willing to share the land and the profits, I would very much appreciate that. But I will warn you, we have a rule. If you betray us, we will put you in the ground" Dutch warned you, leaning towards you on the table like you were doing to him. You faces where close now, only a few inches apart. Perhaps this was some sort of mind game, to see who chickens out and pulls away first, but there was a tension thick between you both.

"I am a woman of my word, I don't betray people and I expect the same kindness from you" you assured him.

"Of course, you have my word" he promised you. "Now, is that a deal?" Dutch asked as he leaned back in his chair and held his hand out for you to shake.

"It's a deal" you smirked as you mimicked him, leaning back in your own chair and shaking his hand. You both paused for a moment, your hand still clasping his as you both smirked and watched each other. "I suppose we will be seeing a lot more of each other?" you asked, knowing that if this was going to work you would have to work closely with the man in front of you.

"I'm looking forward to it" Dutch nodded before you both released the other's hand. You simply nodded at him before standing up and walking him out of your tent.

Once you were out of your tent, Dutch called his two friends back over and assured them that everything was sorted, you assumed that he would tell them the details later. You said your farewells to the three men and watched them as they exited the camp.

"What do you think, boss?" one of your men asked, moving to stand beside you and joining you in watching the three men leaving the camp.

"I think that we are going to have a lot of fun with them" you smirked, crossing your arms over your chest. The man beside you just laughed and nodded before you both returned to the camp fire.

"So, what do you think Dutch?" Hosea asked and the three members of the van der Linde gang rode back towards their own camp.

"I think that we are going to get along just fine" Dutch nodded, smiling slightly to himself as they rode away.

Requests?

Anyone interested in a part 2???