Chapter 40🌟 You & Me🌟

❝ You & Me, Me & You, Happy Together is all I wish for us. ❞

_______________________________________________

Narrator's POV

" Well, someone broke the promise..." Although it was said only once, the phrase reverberated in Meera's ears.

" Mrs. Kapoor..." She started, trying to regain her lost posture. Calming herself and her mind that all is well she picked up the plate. She took deep slow breaths. All those meditation tips were finding their way back to her.

" Ah-h... I can assure you... "

" It's me, Meera. It's me..." She paused a sad look but rather not of regret but guilt.

" I love my son and apparently he can't stop loving you and I couldn't stop him either..." Meera felt she was dreaming. Perhaps, she was. All she had to do was wake the hell up and be done with this. But, it was real. She tried hard to not let her buried feelings get better of her. She didn't cry. She had learned. Learned how to not give in when her heart went wry.

" You don't deserve this. This is not your life Meera... He needs you back. " Meera scoffed when Kush's mother stopped.

After all that they have been through this is the conjecture where they find themselves. Irony or a tragic comedy, she wasn't able to figure that out.
Whatever it was, it just didn't feel right. She wasn't supposed to be here. Kush needs to be happy and away from her as far as possible.

" Uh-huh... I-I think you got it all wrong Mrs. Kapoor. He's doing so..."

" Well... That's what you think Meera? After all that time..." She stood dead.

He was here. She knew that but she wasn't ready to accept the fact that she was just procrastinating her feelings.

He was here. Right behind her. She didn't dare turn, she couldn't face him. Time was a healer but the guilt didn't lessen. Guilt that was buried so deep in her veins, her legs felt wobbly.

" I'm sorry Meera. But, I definitely am not the villain of the story. Kush knew all this... since it's inception..." She took another dramatic pause. She surely knew how to bring a story to its climax.

" It's your time now. Your time to love." She smiled at her, turned and walked away.

Meera didn't render how many seconds or minutes had passed as she stood still delaying the process of turning to look at that one man who would make her heart melt again. She didn't trust herself that won't lose herself and give in.

Yet, Everything was fine. One question loomed. Why did he return? Perhaps, it was bound to happen.

" Meera..." Tears rolled down her cheeks as Kush's soft calm voice bounced in her ears like an echo, an echo she kept reliving every single day. She loved how soothing he called her.

God! She missed him to her core.

Of course, she loved him. She loves him. She has loved him since she fell hard for him in Ohio.

" Will you not even turn around? Have I screwed up that bad?" She broke down, even more, sniffing and sobbing as covertly as she could yet gather herself. Cleaning her messy face as clean as possible she turned around. Their eyes met. She couldn't see in the dim light that his eyes were as wet as hers.

Right there, standing in the small focus of the lamppost was Kush. In a beige chino with a black collar t-shirt and a blue cap.
He had lost a substantial amount of weight than she remembered. Even she had but the mushy muscular Kush she recalled, always jubilant and many time arrogantly handsome was just replaced by someone more mature beyond his years. That carefree soul didn't exist anymore. A part of her blamed herself for his demeanour.