34 | warrior

CHAPTER 34

_____________________________

"Absolutely not."

Florence shut her locker and walked away, guitar case in hand. Josie groaned as she rushed to catch up with her. "But why not? Riverdale hosts the Variety Show every fall. You could sing!" "Josie, you already know why." The brunette stopped to give her best friend a pointed look. "I don't sing anymore."

"Okay. That's a lie because you sing all the time at our band practices." The Pussycat crossed her arms. Florence rolled her eyes. "Yeah, to help you write songs." "What's going on here, ladies?" Cheryl came bounding up to the two of them. Josie pointed a finger at the brunette. "I'm trying to convince her to audition for the fall show." The redhead's eyes lit up with excitement and she clapped her hands enthusiastically. "Yes!"

"No." Florence drew out and groaned. "Seriously, guys. I gave up performing a while ago. There is no way you are going to make me do it."

_______________________

"Florence Holloway?"

Florence nervously looked out on the crowd of other people in the auditorium. She can't believe that they talked her into doing this. She hasn't performed since she was 14.

Kevin looked up from his clipboard and smiled. "What will you be doing today?"

"I'm uh-" The brunette looked over at Josie, who sat with Veronica and the Pussycats. Josie smugly sat back in her seat, arms crossed. Veronica gave her an encouraging thumbs up. The other two Pussycats waved at her. She looked back at Kevin. "I will be singing."

Kevin barely could hold in his excitement and surprise. The group of football players sitting further back perked up at the mention of it, especially Reggie. "Let's go, little lion!" Florence rolled her eyes and let out a breathy chuckle that echoed due to the microphone in front of her.

"What will you be auditioning with?"

As Florence opened her mouth to answer Kevin's question, the doors of the auditorium opened to reveal Archie walking in with his guitar. Florence looked back at Veronica, her expression basically screaming 'Oh Shit'. All the raven haired beauty did was mouth, 'You got this!'

Since Jason Blossom's wake at Thornhill, neither of them spoke to one another. The only thing that they have done was exchange looks in the halls and during some classes that they share. Florence can't lie and say that she doesn't miss him, but she knows that it's for the best. She needed time to heal and Archie being around her all the time made it ten times harder, which is why she also doesn't hang out with the Core Four at school anymore.

Florence bit her lip as Archie sat next to Veronica and looked up at the stage. "I will be singing an original, called 'Warrior'." "Alright." Kevin wrote something down. "Whenever you're ready."

Florence slowly walked over to the piano on the left side of the stage. A microphone was already set up to capture her vocals as she played. The brunette pulled out the black bench and gingerly sat down.  She nervously took a deep breath and laid out her sheet music on the piano stand. "I know I said 'Whenever you're ready,' but we do have other people waiting as well." Kevin called out, making her flinch.