12 | the beginning

CHAPTER 12

____________________________

Veronica dropped her pencil and rested her head in her hands, groaning in annoyance. "I just don't get it."

Piles of paper and colorful pens were strewn across the booth at Pops, indicating that a hardcore study session was in play. One strawberry milkshake stood in the midst of all the mess with two different colored straws leaning over the glass.

An old Elvis song played throughout the diner as Florence shrugged. "Just read page 134." "Thats not it." Veronica shut her textbook and pushed it to the side of the table.

Looking up from the history homework, Florence raised her brows in confusion. "What to you mean?"

"Why did she ask Cheryl to go with her? The demon spawn out of all people!" Veronica muttered a small apology quickly after she said it, knowing how close Florence was to her. Resting her cheek on her fist, the raven-haired girl continued to fiddle with the corner of a random page inside her notebook.

The brunette gave her a sympathetic look before completely closing her own textbook and gathering the pens covering the tabletop. "Betty just needs some time to heal and cool off. You saw how diving in too quickly was a lot to handle for her."

"I just-I can't believe I said those things." Veronica slouched back into the red cushions. She looked out the window to her right and took a sip of the milkshake. "I honestly thought I was doing so much better than New York."

"It's a new environment that you're not used to." Florence explained as she shoved the last of the inky pens into her backpack. "At least you're trying. That's what counts."

"I know," Veronica sighed. She looked down at the table and traced it with her finger. "It just feels like there was this train heading to the rest of my life and I just missed it." "She'll come around." Florence gave her a sympathetic smile, pushing the shared milkshake towards her.

She then decided to take a deep breath and drop her hands onto her jean-clad thighs. "Well since we're not gonna get anything else finished, want to go sit at the bar and order more milkshakes?" Veronica eagerly agreed to that idea.

Florence slid out of the booth and slung her backpack onto her shoulders before picking up her guitar and following Veronica to the front of Pop's. The two situated themselves in front of the displayed goods. Mrs. Lodge just finished fulfilling an order and made a face as she walked towards them.

"You're doing great, Mom." Veronica told her and moved to rest her head on her hand again. "Better than me this week." "Yeah, we're surviving, Ronnie, by our wits." Her mother picked up a white cloth and started drying the dishes. "Because that's what we 'Lodge' women do. If your father could see us now..."

Veronica stood up and walked over to her mother. "He would say that you look stunning." The black-haired teen turned to look back at her friend. "Mom, I want you to meet Florence. Flo, this is my mom." The brunette stood up and walked over with her hand out. "It is so nice to meet you, Mrs. Lodge."

"And you as well." Veronica's mom gave her a welcoming smile. "Please, call me Hermione. Do you girls want a refill?" Veronica nodded and Florence replied with a 'yes please' just as the bell rung from the entrance of the diner.