15 | happy ending (?)

CHAPTER 15

_____________________

Florence waved to Jughead, Veronica, and Betty as the group of five all walked their separate ways.

Archie stayed behind with her at the front of Pops. The rainy afternoon turned into a foggy night. The bright lights coming from inside illuminated the mostly deserted parking lot with some help of the half moon shining behind the clouds.

"How's your eye?" Florence stood up on her tippy toes to get a better look. A dark blue-ish bruise blossomed around Archie's left eye, left by Reggie Mantle's fist. Archie flinched slightly when her thumb gently grazed it.

Florence was quick to pull her hand back. "Sorry." She apologized sheepishly and fell back down onto her heels. Archie waved her off. "It's been worse."

The two took a seat on the concrete steps in front of Pop's together as Florence waited for her ride. Archie noticed her shivering form and shrugged off his letterman jacket to place around her shoulders. Florence was quick to protest, but Archie swiftly wrapped her in it before she could finish her argument. His arms encased her smaller body as he playfully squeezed her tight.

Florence yelped and squirmed in his strong hold, laughing out loud into the night. "Okay, okay!" Archie, happy with her change of mind, let go of his hold on her and went back to his old position on the stairs. His elbows rested back on second step behind him.

Florence slipped her arms through the sleeves of the letterman jacket and pulled it over her shoulders. Her nose caught a whiff of what seemed to be the smell of pine needles and cinnamon. Looking over she reminded him, "You know you don't have to wait with me."

"It's the gentleman-thing to do."

"Yeah okay." Florence giggled and nodded her head along. "What?" Archie chuckled along with her, raising his arms up. "Can't a guy accompanying a beautiful girl until her ride gets here?"

"How cheesy." Florence rolled her eyes and leaned back, mimicking his actions. "Nowadays guys do it to get in girls' pants." "As amazing as that sounds," Archie joked, earning himself a smack on the arm from her. "That's not why I'm here."

Although Pops finally closed down the diner, the neon sign was still glowing brightly. The colorful hues fell down on the two teenagers sitting together, illuminating their skins. The way the neon lights fell down on Florence's face made Archie's heart pound.

Florence turned her head to the right and stared at him in curiosity. "But all boys want that, especially jocks like Reggie."

Archie couldn't help trailing over her body, along the curve of her lips, down to her neck. Archie examined every curve, every crevice of Florence as if she was a masterpiece hanging inside a museum. She was so close to him, but at the same time too valuable to touch. "I-I'm not like Reggie."