9 | new friends

CHAPTER 9

___________________________

Florence subtly took a step back from the pair, a polite smile lifting her cheeks.

She felt herself blush when she saw Reggie not-so-subtly check her out from head to toe. He held out his hand and winked. "Nice to meet you."

Cheryl gazed at Florence expectantly, waiting for her to reach for his hand. The brunette complied to her quiet request and was caught by surprise when Reggie bent down to kiss the back of it. Standing back up, he led her to the dance floor.

Archie stared off with jealousy radiating off of him like body odor, completely noticeable. Cheryl noticed it clear as day and simpered in his direction. She then snapped her neck towards the crowd and sauntered off with a small skip in each step.

Betty looked up at the redheaded male and tugged on his arm. "Hey." She attempted to get his attention. "When do you have to get back to Coach Clayton about football?"

"This weekend." Archie spoke through the corner of his mouth, not fully invested in their conversation. Betty huffed slightly and loosened her grip on his arm.

Florence looked back at the troubled teenagers this dance partner of hers dragged her away from. Many students blocked the once clear path of sights between them.

She never felt comfortable with any of Cheryl's toys that she attempted to hook her up with. Florence knew that her friend wouldn't intentionally hurt her feelings, but she just didn't know this guy enough to be comfortable dancing close to each other.

"You look stunning." Reggie looked down from his lanky figure to wink at the brunette. Florence gave him a tight-lipped smile and looked for any excuse to get out from the sea of sweaty bodies.

The teenager cleared her throat and pointed to a random direction. "I'm gonna go get some punch." She quickly pulled away and squeezed through the small opening between two couples before Reggie could protest.

Florence finally felt herself breathe when she broke through the final barrier of students. She wandered around the sides of the gym until her eye caught sight of the refreshments.

The nude wedges clicked against the wooden floor as she made her way towards the clear punch bowl. Florence took one of the small plastic cups siting beside it and brought it up to her nose.

"They haven't spiked the punch yet."

The brunette looked down at the lemonade-like substance and turned her head to the redhead sitting down on one of the metal fold-out chairs. "Good." She took a small sip and almost cringed at how sweet it was.

Florence motioned to the chair next to Archie, asking for permission to sit before making her way beside him. The brunette smoothed down the back of her dress so that she could take a seat. "Did you forget to get Betty a drink?"

Archie chuckled and shook his head. His own cup, now empty, dangled from one of his thumbs as he rested his elbows against his thighs. "I was just making arrangements with Geral-I mean, Miss Grundy."