26 | ghost

CHAPTER 26

___________________________

"Hey!" Kevin caught up to Florence as she walked to the Student Lounge. "Are you going to the Drive-In with Archie?"

"Yeah." Florence gave him a sympathetic smile. "Sorry, dude." He whined childishly as the two entered the room. Veronica was making herself a cup of coffee on the other side. When she saw the two of them, she grinned and walked over. "Hey guys."

Florence walked up to her to give her a hug. Veronica yelped in surprise at the gesture. When Florence broke away, she leaned in and whispered. "I'm really sorry about what happened at Pop's." "Honestly, don't worry about it." The raven-haired girl waved her off and plopped down on one of the chairs. "I should be the one comforting you."

Their conversation was cut short with Kevin's loud groaning from vending machine. He had his head against the glass as he lazily pressed the buttons on the keypad. "Why can't there be any other nice gays at this school?"

"If there was, You wouldn't be my gay best friend." Florence joked, making him glare at her. Kevin reached in to grab his candy bar. "It's this quintessential right of passage, making out with your boy or girlfriend at the movies."

"You can also go with a friend." Florence pointed out. Kevin dramatically sighed and jumped onto the couch closest to him. Florence grunted loudly when he fell on top of her. She pushed his legs away. "Get off of me, you elephant."

"Why don't we all go together?" Veronica suggested excitedly. Kevin turned his head and glared at Florence. "Florence is already going with Archie." The brunette held her hands up in defense. Veronica stared at her with an unreadable expression before turning to Kevin. "Fine. How about us two, Kev? I can't promise you any action, but maybe I'll bring you good luck." "Great." Kevin replied. "Another night, another hag-"

"Speaking of hags." Cheryl walked into the room. All laugher that bubbled up between the three died off. "Veronica," She stopped next to the raven-haired girl, who had her lips pressed into a straight line and her arms crossed in front of her chest. "It's so devastating to me that your mother as to sink to such unspeakable lows just to keep those knockoff Hermes bags on your arm. What's next, selling her hair extensions?"

"What are you going on about, Cheryl?" Florence questioned tiredly. She and Kevin exchanged a look. "My mom's a waitress, Cheryl, not Fantine." Veronica sassed back. "And your faux concern reeks of ulterior motive. What is it?"

"Only to remind you of your place in this school-"Cheryl paused and momentarily looked up in thought. "Nay, the town's social hierarchy." "Threatened much?" Veronica gave her a fake smile. "Don't worry. You may be a stock character from a '90s teen movie-" She stood up to face Cheryl dead in the eye. "-but I'm not. And what does any of this have to do with my mom being a waitress?"

"It's just that I saw her talking to a Southside Serpens last night," Cheryl smirked. "In the alley behind Pop's." Veronica looked down at Kevin and Florence quizzically. "They were having an extremely heated, intimate discussion." Cheryl held out her phone. "See for yourself."

Kevin and Florence got up to go see the proof that the Queen Bee had against Veronica's mother. After a brief look, Cheryl turned to Florence. "You really don't want to be associated with people like them, Flo." "I think I'll manage." Florence retorted. "Thanks for your completely unnecessary insight."