20 | the playbook

CHAPTER 20

__________________

"What are you doing here Cheryl?"

"And where did you get those thigh-high boots? They're amazing!"

"From my closet." The group turned towards the direction of where that answer appeared. Florence walked up to them, flashlight in hand. "I got your message." Looking over at Queen Bee, she glared at her. "Why are you even here?"

"Trev told Valerie, who told Josie, who told Ginger, who told Tina, who told me." Cheryl answered, placing a hand on her hip. "And I thought I would help out."

"Help? Or derail our investigation?" Florence turned so that her back was to her best friend and walked off into the dark hallway. The red headed Blossom gulped and dropped her arm to her side in defeat. Veronica, Kevin, and Betty exchanged looks as Ethel called the group to come over.

Florence made it there first and helped the other student by shining her flashlight over the object that she found. It looked to be an old book. The pages were discolored and wrinkled with scribbles covering most of the pages. "Trev was right." The girl sighed as she flipped through the book. "They didn't even bother to hide it."

"New girl?" Veronica questioned, reading the most recent entry. "Is that what I'm reduced to? Nine points?" "Better than 'Big girl.'" Ethel commented as she red her own name. "7.5."

"Polly's in this book." Betty's face fell at the sight of her own sister being used. Cheryl's face fell as she stood next to Florence. "Next to Jason's name."

"That's what Chuck meant." Florence scoffed, recalling the memory in the boy's locker room. She didn't even try to hide the disappointment that she felt. Betty removed herself and stood a few feet away staring at the ground. Veronica leaned back to look at her. "I'm so sorry, Betty."

"This isn't..." Cheryl seemed to lose all of her thoughts and words. "Jason would never-" "It's right there, Cheryl!" Betty aggressively point to the book inside Ethel's hands. "Your brother hurt my sister! This is what guys like Jason and Chuck think about women. We're object for them to abuse. And when they're done with us they shame us into silence. They have zero remorse for the lives they destroy."

"Maybe I don't know Jason." Cheryl murmured. Florence shook her head, turning off the flashlight in her hands. "Maybe none of us do." A humorless laugh left her lips and she took out her cellphone. "I need to call Reggie."

"No wait." Veronica placed her hand out and lowered Florence's arm. Taking out her own, she opened up the camera app. "I'll take a picture." Veronica's flash went off. "We'll show it to Weatherbee. It'll be the perfect cover for your expose, Betty."

"Yeah, But...No." Betty frustratingly dropped her arm against her side. "These girls deserve, justice, don't you think, Cheryl?" Cheryl looked away as Betty stalked closer. "You want vengeance? You wanna go full dark, no stars, Veronica?"

Veronica's lips upturned into a little smirk. Looking over at Florence, she raised her brows expectedly. "So, what do you say?"

The brunette glanced around at every person there. Betty, Veronica, and Ethel looked at her with a hopeful gaze as Cheryl continued to stare at her feet. Florence let out a deep sigh. "I'm with you."