11 | trouble in paradise

CHAPTER 11

______________________

Florence stared in anticipation at the leather-bound book inside her teacher's hands.

Brown eyes scanned the worn pages of personal thoughts and feelings that she had felt for the past three years. All of it summarized into lyrics and music notes that fit onto only four pages.

A grin made its way to the music teacher's face. "Florence, this song is beautiful." The teenager let out a breath and smiled in relief. "Thanks, Miss Grundy. I wasn't sure if the notes matched the song and-"

"Oh hush." The music teacher let out a playful laugh. "I don't even understand why you wanted extra lessons when you already know the basics of songwriting."

Florence shrugged her shoulders ever so slightly with her guitar resting atop her knees. "It's better to have a second pair of eyes."

The bell rang, signaling the end of school. Miss Grundy handed the worn journal back and stood up. "Make sure to practice, I want to hear it the next time we meet up."

The brunette nodded excitedly. "You got it, Geraldine." Florence gathered all of her things to leave when she was called back into the music room.

Miss Grundy was rummaging through a drawer in her desk when she finally slammed it shut. She held something in her left hand as she rounded the desk. "My music teacher gave this to me when I first started out."

Florence felt cool medal in the palm of her hand. Looking down, she saw a musical note keychain with a small golden star. "He gave it to me for motivation. I thought maybe it would help you with all that has been going on."

Miss Grundy knew all of the things that flowed through Florence's mind because she expressed it through music. Music was her outlet, so it was natural for her to be close with her teacher.

"I-I just-Wow I-I can't take this-"

"Yes you can." Miss Grundy cut her off and shooed her out of the door. "You have practice to get to." The door slammed shut behind her and the teacher called out, "Don't even think about sliding it under the door!"

Florence laughed and walked towards the locker rooms for cheer with Cheryl.

________________

"Do it again!"

The music blared through the speakers, giving each cheerleader literally half a second to move to their spots before starting the dance a fifth time. Poms were dropped, people ran into other people; the beginning was a mess. Once everyone recovered from the quick start, they finally looked in sync.

Florence stood on the outside, trying to convince Cheryl to choose a different dance. However, the redhead insisted on it and also forced her to take part in the main position.

Veronica Lodge walked through the wall of cheerleaders with enough space on her right for Florence to be mirroring her motions. She twirled and popped her hip out before reaching towards the ground and snapping her head back up.