19 | second chances

CHAPTER 19

________________________

"And you're the songwriter?"

"Well-"

Florence pushed open the doors of the music room, eyes glued to the notebook open inside her hands.

"Okay, so I have a few ideas for your performance and I already started on a few lyrics for your-"

Looking up, her breath caught in her throat at the sight of red hair across the room. Archie's smile completely vanished and his fingers that fiddle with tuning his guitar halted. Valerie and Melody were giving her apologetic glances for not telling her that he would be here.

After a short period of awkward silence, Valerie cleared her throat. "Florence is usually our second eye." The brunette awkwardly crossed the room to grab her guitar, which was coincidentally next to Archie. He leaned over, whispering. "I really need to talk to you."

Florence paused to think about it and avoided Archie's pleading gaze when making her decision. With a defeated sigh, she dropped her head before fully standing up tall. "Okay." Turning to the other Pussycats, she mumbled out 'we'll be right back' and walked outside with Archie hot on her heels.

The two flooded into the empty hallway on the third floor. As soon as the door closed, Florence crossed her arms and waited expectantly for Archie to say something. Said boy awkwardly looked at his feet, chuckling to ease the tension. "Well, I don't know how to start-"

"What is going on with you?"

Archie flinched at the tone she used. It sounded like she was accusing him of something that he did; something only he and Jughead knew about.

"Jesus Christ, Archie!" Florence groaned loudly and threw her head back in the process. "You said you were different than Reggie-"

"I am." Archie defended. Florence scoffed, shaking her head. "No." She countered, looking straight up into his soft brown eyes. "No you're not. You're exactly like him, Arch." She ran her fingers through her hair and sighed, all of her anger vanishing. "You lead girls on and drag them painfully through the rocks and dirt. I really like you, Archie, and I thought you felt the same way-"

"I do." The redhead stepped forward and encased Florence's two hands in his own. He brought her closer so that he could intertwine them.

"Then why did you lead me on?"

Archie took a breath, knowing that if he told her the absolute truth, she would never forgive him. Instead, he blurted. "I'm just scared." Florence couldn't hide her surprise. The redhead let out a sigh and hung his head. "Everything is changing this year and I-I'm scared that if I open up to you, you'll disappear."

He expected her to leave, or to laugh at his half-truth answer. He could feel his heart hurt when Florence decided to take her fingers away from his grasp.

"Arch," Florence gave him a sympathetic look. "You should've just told me." Archie felt his cheeks brighten from the embarrassment he felt. Here he was spilling everything to a girl he really liked yet barely knew, who will probably never speak to him ever again.