30 | tumble

CHAPTER 30

_____________________________

"What about you, Archie? How's life in a PG world?"

Everyone looked back at Veronica, while she innocently looked at them. "PG. Post-Grundy." She explained to them "What, too soon?" Veronica took a bite out of a fry, but not without shooting him a fake smile.

The Core Four and Kevin were sitting on the bleachers, trying to have a good time. They were successfully avoiding the obvious, until Veronica couldn't hold in her disgust with Archie.

Archie glanced up from his notebook to catch Florence mid-flip before landing gracefully on the blue mat the cheerleaders laid out on the track. She did a little curtsy while the others clapped in amazement, giggles erupting from the entire cheer team. Florence started to move her mouth while doing slow motions to explain the tumble pass she just performed.

"Staring at her again?"

Betty's sympathetic voice snapped him out of his gaze. Archie cleared his voice and looked back down at his notebook. "Coach Clayton says I have a shot at being varsity captain, so I'm not thinking about anything else right now."

Betty leaned forward. "Are you, maybe, throwing yourself into football as a way to avoid your feelings?" Veronica snorted into her fry cup. "What feelings?" "I'm not avoiding anything, Betty." Archie ignored Veronica's comment. "I'm trying to get my life back on track."

Florence blew a small strand of hair away from her face as she spotted another girl for her backflip. Just like everyone else, she nearly landed on her face. Straightening her back, the brunette raised her arms to stretch out her body and turned slightly to look behind her. Her entire body froze when she saw that familiar redhead on the bleachers with her friends- no, wait. Ex-friends.

"Yoo hoo!"

Florence turned her head to see Cheryl walking towards her with black envelopes resting on her arms. The brunette gave her best friend a look once she was in front of her. "No one can tumble on this team, Cher." "They just need some practice." Cheryl offered, which made Florence groan in annoyance. "I almost got kicked in the face thirty times today. They're going to have to take classes."

"Done." The redheaded captain turned to the girls who volunteered to learn how to tumble. "From now on, we will dedicate one practice every week for learning this skill." A collective groan arose in the crowd, making Cheryl raise her eyebrow. "If you want to quit the team, feel free to leave." Her response quickly dissipated the sound.

Florence sighed before turning her head slightly towards the group of girls. "Practice is over today. Make sure to practice what I taught you." The girls quickly fled the field towards the locker rooms.

Cheryl turned back to Florence with one of the black envelopes resting in her hand. "Jason's memorial is this weekend at Thornhill. I made sure you were added to the guest list." Florence took the invitation from her. The Blossom Family crest sealed the opening flap. She glanced down at it, her mind slowly drifting away.

"I have to hand the rest of these out. You can come with me." Cheryl offered, but Florence declined, gesturing towards the crappy blue mat she was using for practice. "I have to put these away." Cheryl shrugged before turning on her heals. Halfway towards the bleachers, she called out. "I'll talk to you later!"