Chapter Twenty-Five

* * *

Dutch Van der Linde had been tricked once by a man named Bronte. Bronte was a man not to be reckoned with in Saint Denis. He had money, infamous fame, and high status.

what was the trick Bronte committed before? He stole Jack, eventually the gang got him back, but now Bronte was being friendly. What is it that sneaky aristocrat could want from the Van der Linde Gang? Nothing, really, except for the fact he was skeptical, threatened even. He needed to befriend his enemy only to know how to be rid of them. So, how could he become closer to Dutch Van der Linde and make 'amends'?

Invite them over to his mansion for a party. It was the only thing he could think of. What more trusting of an act than an invitation to one's own home for a celebration.

"Arthur, Bill, and Hosea," called Dutch. "Come over here, now!" He was waiting around his tent, pacing back and forth until those who were summoned showed up.

Arthur headed over, pausing from sharpening his throwing knife. He rolled his eyes and set the blade aside. "What's goin' on here, Dutch?" He asked with his hands on his belt.

Hosea fixed his hat and tie. "Yes, Dutch, what seems to be up your sleeve now?" He set his focus completely on the leader of the group, awaiting further explanation.

Dutch looked to each man, then carefully chose his words. "Men, we need to branch out. We need to settle ourselves in with the town. Bronte has invited us to his Mansion for some kind of-" he gestured his hands around, "party! Yes, of all things. What a perfect opportunity to set ourselves amongst the common people-"

"A party?" Arthur shifted his weight. "The hell, Dutch? I thought we 'supposed to lie low! This Bronte man is nothin' but trouble? Why would we want to go back to him for?"

Bill furrowed his brows. "Hey! Dutch's got a plan. There's a reason to his methods!" He clearly just wanted to go along with whatever Dutch had in store. He was a compete 'yes-man' most of the time.

"Yeah, Dutch, I'd have to agree with Arthur on this. He took Jack! Now we're all buddy-buddy with him because he kept his word once?" Hosea was a man of reason and logic. He would carefully plot his next move and this 'plan' of Dutch's did not make any kind of sense.

Dutch tightened his fists and shook his finger. "You all need to have faith! Bill understood, he's on top of it all! We have to get in close with Bronte. He's got money and connections! You know how many rich folks are going to be there?"

Arthur crossed his arms and inched a little closer. "Yeah, and we'll get found out! We know nothin' of what those 'rich folk' talk about! All we know about them is how to steal their money. What if they catch us while we're at it?" He did have a point. They were con-artists and thieves and of they got caught in a close conversation with one aristocrat at the party, there would be a good enough chance they would be found out.

Dutch sighed. Why was convincing the gang to go to a fancy party becoming such a hassle? "Well, Hosea is all we got for that. The two of you need to stay quiet, I guess!"

Just then, (Y/n) chimed in. "What's all this noise? You know, with all the yelling?" She could only hear bits and pieces of what was being said and was interested in what was going on.

Bill raised his brows. "Well, if it isn't Arthur's little-" he stopped talking after receiving a threatening glare from Arthur. "...oh!" He threw his hands up in defense and turned away from (Y/n).

Hosea turned to her, wondering of her background. "(Y/n),"he started, "you wouldn't know anything about what wealthy men and women talk about, would you?"

"Uhh," she croaked. Had they found out who she was? No, impossible...well, maybe not 'impossible' but...

Hosea continued, "maybe how they act?"