Chapter Nine

"Everything alright?" Asked (Y/n). It seemed to her that Arthur was annoyed for some reason. She was unable to hear anything outside the fitting room in the store.

Arthur shook his head, "It was nothin'. That man, he just...never mind." The two began continuing their walk out the store and to the saloon, "let's have a drink. Might as well, we're here anyway."

(Y/n) did not want to go in, especially after the fight that broke loose last time she was around. But, she agreed, "Oh, alright. It wouldn't hurt just to have one drink. Only one."

The two walked in and headed to the counter. "Two drinks here," said Arthur, handing the money to the bar tender.

The man gladly accepted the money. "Okay, a drink for the lady," he winked to (Y/n), "and a drink for the gentleman." The bar tender almost stopped in his tracks after recognizing Arthur. He said, "hey, it's you! Yeah, 'pretty boy'!"

Arthur wiped his mouth and placed a hand on his head, "ugh, can people stop sayin' that?" It was a little embarrassing to hear, especially with (Y/n) listening.

She began to chuckle to herself, "Pretty boy? Well, I guess if you think so." (Y/n) was trying her best to finish her drink, thinking the sooner it was consumed, the sooner they could leave.

Arthur turned to face her, "and what is that supposed to mean?" He was intrigued, his embarrassment turned into an open opportunity for conversation. "Two more drinks," he called.

Right when the bar tender was about hand over their alcohol, (Y/n) intervened, "oh, no, no, no, Pretty Boy. We agreed on just one drink. Now, let's start heading back." She pushed the drinks back and started pulling Arthur away to the door.

Arthur frowned, but did comply. "Alright, Li'l Missy. A deal's a deal, I guess. One drink was what we said and now we should check on those traps." He did not sound enthused, but (Y/n) was right to hold him back. If she was not there with him, he could have gotten himself into some deep trouble. In a way, he was thankful.

This quality is what Arthur liked about (Y/n): at most times she was calm, collected, kind- but when messed with, she was a force not to be reckoned with. She knew her limits and she knew her strengths, balancing her decision making and results.

They both sat on the saddle of the horse and rode off to the forest. (Y/n) gave Arthur a rub on the shoulder, "look at you, listening to my advice! I feel as though you tend to stray away from orders."

He shook his head, "and that's where you're wrong. I'm pretty loyal believe it or not, you just haven't known me much long." Arthur felt the pit of his stomach drop. The thought of (Y/n) not knowing him and never really having the time to get to know him hurt. Arthur wanted them two to learn as time went on with one another.

"That's true," (Y/n) agreed, "But I'd like to."

Arthur cocked his head to the side. He could not believe it. Was (Y/n) willing to continue speaking and visiting one another? Surely at the start she had no interest in continuing any relationship with anyone. He thought she had planned on being a hermit, cut off from contact, and living on her own.

"You're tellin' me," Arthur started, "you want to keep in touch with a man who starts bar fights, gets involved with other gangs' business, and is constantly on the run from the law?" He wondered if she had known a little more of his history, (Y/n) would turn the other way. He knew he was not good for her. As much as it hurt to say the truth, but in a way, he was pushing to scare (Y/n) from himself. 'You can't live a bad life and expect good things to come from it ' he thought.

(Y/n) shrugged, "if the man you're speaking of happens to be you, then yes. I would love to keep in touch."

She did not care. She knew Arthur, and the Arthur she knew so far was very nice, caring, and smart. To (Y/n), Arthur did seem a little lost, rough even, but she could tell who he truly was. She knew no man could be perfect, but even with the flaws Arthur possessed, she saw his potential. He was a good man at heart, and (Y/n) had planned on showing she believed in that. With a little direction, he would be heading to a better life.