Chapter Ten

After weeks' worth of learning, (Y/n) was getting the hang of things. Arthur taught her how to skin her meals, and even how to shoot a gun and bow. They were becoming close and as days went on, it was becoming more difficult to leave each other's company.

One morning, (Y/n) got dressed as usual and was prepared to go out to pick herbs nearby. She was trying to explore the area to get better adjusted to her surroundings. Not to mention, she was running low on the seasoning she used for her meals.

On (Y/n)'s way out the door, she grabbed her bow and arrow, just in case she ran into trouble. She had not owned a rifle or any gun either at the moment, despite knowing how to handle the armed weapons much thanks to Arthur.

On her trek, she found yarrow, used for health tonics. "This shall be very useful in the long run. But, I need other ingredients of I were to make use of it anytime soon," said (Y/n). She was glad Arthur had been such a good teacher to her. He was able to draw out some plants and herbs for her to study, making them easier to recognize when she was out and about.

It was nearly eleven in the morning, until the unimaginable happened. (Y/n) was only planning on gathering herbs, not expecting any hunting to be done- especially with she being the hunted. She heard a crack of twigs. "What was that?" She whispered. Her mind began to race. (Y/n) had remembered hearing of the potential threats in the area, excluding humans. If she was not mistaken, cougars were prevalent in the area.

Her heart was racing, and her head was spinning. (Y/n) was able to keep herself calm, more or less, but she could feel a bead of sweat trickle down the side of her face. She hoped it was not what she had thought: a wild cougar ready to snuff her out with one pounce.

She readied her bow, already pulled to release the arrow. The rustle of leaves began to shift and, it could be only her mind playing tricks but, (Y/n) could have sworn she heard a growl. The leaves rustled again and out came the creature!

(Y/n) released her arrow, impaling the rabbit and killing it instantaneously. She relaxed her shoulders, "Oh, for crying out loud! Just a little bunny rabbit? Poor thing, I must be as mad as the hatter!" She inched forward to retrieve her unplanned catch, until an even louder growl was heard. Out from the brush came three wild wolves. One of them snatched the freshly killed rabbit and shook it in its mouth, still staring at (Y/n) angerly.

"Oh, why wolves? Well, at least I know I wasn't crazy and just hearing things I suppose," she said to herself. As the three wolves began to slowly close in on (Y/n), she began shooting her arrows at the beasts. They maneuvered well and started to gain in speed. "Get away you stupid wolves!" She cried.

(Y/n) was beginning to run out of arrows and had only managed to either graze the wolves or inflict minor damage. The three wolves were set on making (Y/n) their next meal. Quickly, the arrows were gone, and she was only left with the pocket knife she was given. One of the wolves jumped at her, pushing her down and scratching her torso.

"Ugh!" She winced in pain. Immediately, (Y/n) stabbed the wolf in the shoulder, unable to accurately plant a fatal stab during the commotion. Luckily, the shoulder stab was enough to make the wolf hop off. "Get away!" She yelled. The other two wolves continued to growl even louder and corner her into a boulder.

"(Y/N)!"

Someone had called her name, and then gun shots followed. The two wolves were shot dead, a bullet in each one of their heads. "(Y/n)!" Arthur yelled, sliding down a ledge over the boulder. He held her in his arms and noticed her wound. (Y/n) covered her open cuts with her hand in attempt to stop the bleeding. "Darlin, " he said, "you're gonna be alright. I got you now."

"How did- how did you get here?" Asked (Y/n). It was very convenient for him to find her in time to save her life. Everything was happening so fast, the rabbit, the wolves, the pain, and now she was in Arthur's brawny arms. It had only been a week since disaster struck her, and she thought things would only get better.

"I heard some hollerin' and came down to see what was goin' on. I could recognize your voice once I got close enough," Arthur explained followed by a whistle, calling his horse.

He looked very upset, upset that she was in such pain. The blood was seeping out into the clothing around it. "Let me take a look at that wound," Arthur ordered.

"But-" (Y/n) started. Obviously, she was wearing a dress and looking at the wound would mean she would have to lift her dress or strip down. Either option was embarrassing, causing her to feel even more lightheaded than before.

Arthur without any warning, ripped the top of her dress, revealing her torso and its wound. There, he could see three distinct claw marks with blood flowing from each one. "I think you'll be okay. Let me just-" he grunted as he tore the bottom on her dress, using it as make-shift gauze. "I'll use this to wrap around the wound. It should help stop the bleeding for now."

(Y/n) scrunched her face, "Ow, you wrap too tightly. But thank you, it does beat bleeding out to death." With her dress torn and her torso nearly bear, Arthur took off his coat to cover her.

"How can you even complain about my wound wrapping when you're in this condition?" Arthur chuckled.

"I said 'thank you'," she said.

Arthur propped (Y/n) on the horse first and then mounted the horse himself, sitting behind (Y/n). He made sure to keep his arms around her while he got the horse to move.

(Y/n) winced and leaned back onto Arthur, trying to ignore the pain. "But, I mean, why were you just in the area? This isn't, " she paused, "this isn't too close to the cabin."

He leaned his head over her shoulder, "I was at camp...my gang's hide out. It's, err, supposed to be secret, confidential. But, seeing your condition, I'm sure they'll make the exception."

At this point, so much more was going on in (Y/n)'s mind. Who are 'they' exactly? I know Arthur has mentioned being an outlaw, but what could he and a whole gang have done so badly they are wanted so terribly?

"And- and what if they refuse to let me in?" She asked, whole heartedly concerned.

Arthur scoffed, "Well, then they're just gonna have to deal with it. I ain't gonna let them leave you to bleed out."