Chapter Thirty- Nine

"So, your husband has a case of TB?" said the Doctor. "Are you for certain?"

(Y/n) hanged her head low and aimlessly eyed the tiled floor. "Yes, I'm certain. I think you were the Doctor that diagnosed him." She looked up to meet the Doctor's eyes. The man furrowed his brows and remained silent. He thought over the patients he had seen.

"Oh! That man!" he said. "Yes, I remember now. He looked in bad shape then, passed out on the pavement not far from here. A kind by-stander took him in to see me." He looked apologetically to (Y/n). "Now, what do you want to know exactly?"

With a determined spark in her eye, (Y/n) asked, "How can I make sure he lives?" The Doctor knew it. Of course, she would ask for the near impossible.

He sighed and removed his glasses to clear their lenses. The Doctor said, "Truthfully, I don't know." He returned his glasses to their place on top of his nose. His eyes looked clearer than before. In them, (Y/n) could see his honesty.

Her spirit was crushed. (Y/n) felt a lump form in her throat, but she spoke anyway. "There has to be something I can do! Please, I'm begging. I know it's fatal and almost impossible to survive but tell me what is possible!"

The man cleared his throat and blinked several times. Her determination was getting to him. He hated to see an expecting wife lose her husband so suddenly. "Well, there is one option..." (Y/n) relaxed her face.

"What is it? I don't care what it is, tell me."

The Doctor examined her clothes. They looked raggedy and worn. (Y/n) did not look the wealthiest. "The best chance of survival for those suffering Tuberculosis, is the sanatorium."

(Y/n) leaned in close. "The Sanatorium?"

"Yes, Edward Trudeau opened the first Sanatorium about fifteen years ago," he continued. "The 'Lungers' go there to recover. They've been able to do some miracles there. But-,"

"There's a catch isn't there?" She asked. Her chest felt tight. (Y/n) was glad to finally hear Arthur had a fighting chance, but there had to be a cost. Nothing was free, she learned that by now.

Hesitantly, the Doctor explained. "Trudeau just opened another Sanatorium near Strawberry in West Elizabeth."

"And?"

"Not only is it farther out," his hand combed through his hair, "it's expensive. Really expensive."

(Y/n) was relieved. She could use the inheritance money. "What else?"

The Doctor was surprised. He thought the cost would discourage (Y/n). He continued, "Well, um, the Sanatoriums won't clear a patient until at least two years of being cleared from disease."

(Y/n)'s heart sank. She rubbed her stomach. She knew Arthur would have to leave in order to get better, but never did she expect it to be that long. Definitely by the time of his release, their child would have been the age of three or four. "I see...what treatment do they perform? Is it possible I can repeat the same procedures at home?"

"No, no, no, that won't be possible." He waved his hands in front of him, warning of the dangers. "In order to get the best results as efficiently possible, he must be sent away to professions with the right facilities. Besides, they haven't confirmed it yet, studies are being done, but Tuberculosis is speculated to be highly contagious."

(Y/n) nearly gasped, covering her mouth in shock. Had she gotten it? Who else was infected without realizing? Her child was first priority and from now on, she had to keep her distance.

The Doctor could see the fear on her face. "Don't worry, it's spread through the air. Just make sure your husband or anyone else infected doesn't cough into your direction or any surfaces." (Y/n) lowered her had slowly, soaking in all the information. "But, if you must know, the best remedies are sunlight, fresh air, and nutritious meals to keep up strength."