Chapter Nineteen

"Here we are in Saint Denis," presented Arthur in a not-so-enthused tone. The city was never his favorite. He had always dreamed of staying free outside of the polluted towns.

However, (Y/n) was used to cities and their characters. She was not obsessed with the life of the city, but she did not mind it since it was all she knew. The outdoors and nature interested and terrified her just the same. "This looks different," said (Y/n), "so where's this shop?"

Arthur hitched his horse outside of a bar, (Y/n) doing the same. "It's not too far from here," he said, "but I, uhh, thought we could have somethin' to eat here first since it's nearly noon." He scratched his chin, nervous of the response (Y/n) would give. It had been a long time since he had gone to eat with a lady in a proper setting. It was almost like he was asking to court. Arthur, not feeling as confident as before, assured, "but, you know it's up to you! I mean, only if you're hungry or-"

"Oh, no, that sounds nice!" (Y/n) managed to say. She was taken aback as well at the offer. Now they both looked a little anxious. She had gone courting before with the permission of her father, but it was all too formal and set up. Never had she been interested in any of the men she met. Although Arthur was a different case. However, this was not stated as any sort of 'courtship', so perhaps the two were worked up for nothing.

He was surprised to hear her answer so calmly. Sure, it may not have seemed like a big deal, but given their context and situation, this was appearing to be more than a simple meal between friends. But, then again, maybe there was no reason to worry.

Arthur cleared his throat, "well, then, let's head on in." He did not know how to look. He wanted to beam the brightest smile of relief but tried his best to conceal it. Arthur always wanted to keep a cool and collected appearance. The man walked over to the bar's door and held it open. "After you, Li'l Missy," he said with a little more enthusiasm than he wanted to show.

(Y/n) giggled, "such a gentleman, Mister Morgan, as always." As she passed through the door, she gave a light pat on Arthur's chest, which (unintentionally) increased his heartbeat. He always wanted to be his best, especially in front of (Y/n). For some reason, the more he saw her, the more he spent his time with her, the harder he fell for her.

She was already beautiful in his eyes, so the attraction was there. But, the more she spoke and the way she presented herself: kind and determined, outspoken yet reserved. It brought Arthur to appreciate her even more. (Y/n) was a miracle, brought from nowhere, to set him anew. He had been unhappy with himself before, messing up all his past relationships. And now, things were beginning to look brighter. She was accepting, and that was what he needed because, with acceptance, came a form of forgiveness.

"How's about you pick a table and I'll pay for the meals?" Said Arthur, who was still trying to calm his nerves.

(Y/n) agreed and found a nice table in the corner of the room. On one side of wall next to their seats was a window with a nice view of the busy street. The afternoon sun shined through, hitting the table surface. As she waited there with her hands folded on the wooden table, she enjoyed the warm sensation of sunlight on her knuckles. It was a pretty day, despite the earlier day's events. In Rhodes it was a mess, but here it was peaceful.

There (Y/n) sat looking out the window in complete bliss, until a shove of a hand met her shoulder, turning her completely to face the stranger. "Say, you look familiar, doll face," said the scary man. He smelled of alcohol and, by the looks of his attire, he appeared to be a bounty hunter.

Clearly, this man was drunk. (Y/n) lifted his hand off her shoulder, "I think you must have mistaken me for another, sir. I haven't the slightest clue on who you are." She gave him a confused but sincere look, hoping he would leave her be. The man squinted his eyes, a hiccup escaping his mouth.