Chapter Twenty-Four

It was still dark in the night. Some of the men of the gang were off doing whatever it was they had to do while the women stayed behind to rest. There was little going on, that is until Arthur's horse Baxter ran into the campground.

(Y/n) was the first to wake up, recognizing the animal's neighs, hoping that Arthur had returned. However, that was not the case. "Whoa, whoa! Calm down, boy!" She said as she raised her hands up to touch the horse. "You're alright, what's going on?"

The horse trotted in place, still agitated. Then, it began to neigh again and nudge (Y/n)'s back, trying to signal to hop on.

"You want me to go with you..." said (Y/n), still full of confusion. She knew horses were not dumb, but really? Could this creature be attempting to mean something so important? She decided to take the chance and mount the horse. "There, I'm on. Now wha-!"

The loyal steed took off in a sprint. (Y/n) held on tightly to the steed's saddle handle. The winds rushed past and the night's cool air seems to drop in temperature. "Where are you taking me you crazed horse!" They past through Saint Denis without stopping, running through flower beds, nearly trampling a man, causing him to curse in anger. The horse did not stop and sped up in pace with each step.

Then, Baxter came to a halt. "Can I open my eyes now and let go?" Asked (Y/n) in a soft, hushed whisper. She opened one eye and then the other. "What is this creepy place? I'm not even supposed to be out without Arthur. Baxter the horse you're going to get me in trouble!" She got off of the horse and took a few steps forward. She turned around to face the creature and he only stared back. Hesitantly, (Y/n) faced forward and walked up the porch steps. The wood creaked beneath her feet.

"There! That should hold ya!" yelled a man from the other side followed by a groan and someone else shouting curses.

'Arthur?' (Y/n) could recognize his voice anywhere. He did not sound well at all. She could hear the stranger in the house walking closer and backed up against the wall as the door swung open.

"I'll be right back," said the old man. "Don't even try to move, not like you can anyway!" He laughed as he closed the door behind him and walked down the steps without looking back. (Y/n) gulped, her heart rate almost erratic, and watched the man disappear into the thick bog.

She slid towards the door and jimmied the lock. It was an old wooden door, so it was able to open with enough force. (Y/n) grunted as she grabbed a nearby plank of wood to smash the lock off, breaking the wooden door's knob off. The door creaked open and she quickly hurried in. There lied the unpleasant sight.

"Arthur!" (Y/n) gasped. "Love, are you alright?" She rushed to his side and examined the bump on his head. He was basically hog-tied to a leg of the old bed in the one-room house. "Let me get you out of this- we are leaving now."

He coughed and was beginning to regain his senses. "(Y/n)? What- no, how did you get here?" Arthur began to move and squirm, realizing what had happened.

(Y/n) had found an old rusty blade on a side table and used it to free Arthur, starting with his tied legs. "Baxter. Baxter led me here to you. But, first let's try and-" she grunted, struggling to cut the ropes due to the dull blade. "Get out of here."

The covered-up windows shook as the door opened up once more. "I have the perfect- " the old, creepy man stopped in his tracks. "Well, what do we have here? This here your girl? I'll show her just how I had shown you how to have a grand ol' time!" He laughed and continued to advance towards (Y/n) who had only managed to cut lose Arthur's legs. She frantically cut as much as she could of the rope binding Arthur's hands to the bed post.

"Get away, you creep!" (Y/n) yelled. The man only laughed harder as he lunged at her. She was able to grab his wrists and hold him off her, but the man was not giving up. He continued to push and break free from her grip, causing them to fall back onto the table behind. Her hidden revolver fell from her waist and slid across the floor.