Chapter Fifteen

Arthur raised his hands up in defense, "You better watch it, 'cause now I'm gonna have to get you back." He was not amused by her trick, trying to get him to worry about (Y/n) playing a stupid knife game. "We're gonna try and teach you how to ride a horse now," he said abruptly. He looked at her face for a reply.

Her giggles ceased. "Wait- what?" (Y/n) asked, surprised. She was always fascinated by the creatures, but never could she ever imagine herself being able to ride one on her own. Well, she had gotten used to the idea after riding so much with Arthur. But, this was an actual treat for her. (Y/n)'s smile began to shine once more, "we're going out of the camp for a little stroll on some ponies?"

Arthur walked towards the hitching posts with (Y/n) following behind him. "Yeah, that's what I'm plannin'."

Eager to get started, (Y/n) looked around, wondering which horse she would mount. Arthur was already sitting upon his usual stallion. She asked, "so, uh, what horse do I go on?"

He laughed while pulling (Y/n) up to sit behind him. "We're gonna have to find you a horse first," he said.

"But what do you mean? Horses aren't cheap?" She stated honestly.

Arthur gave the horse a kick, and the two of them were off. "Don't worry about it, sweetheart. I know where we can get one for free." They continued to ride away from camp, through the trees and shrubs and following a path leading up to the grassy hills and terrain.

(Y/n) furrowed her brows, "For free? This isn't going to involve stealing, right?" Ever since Sadie mentioned robberies and shootouts to Arthur, (Y/n) was a little paranoid. She had no intention of becoming an outlaw herself.

"No," Arthur said as they began to slow down, "we're gonna find you a mustang." While the horse came to a halt, he raised his arm to point at a creature in the distance. A wild horse, grazing on the land.

Now, her eyes widened in shock. "You can't be serious?" (Y/n) said in disbelief, "That mustang is beautiful- but taming it? Can it even be done?" As much as it sounded amazing, she doubted her abilities. She was just dropped here in the rural United States from England, where the horses in stables were trained from birth to be loyal and docile.

He got off the horse, followed by (Y/n) who nearly fell off while jumping down. She was getting better at dismounting; she was just a little clumsy. Arthur clarified, "It's not impossible. It's kind of difficult sometimes, but it can be done." He continued speaking while brushing his own horse's coat, "in a matter of fact, this here horse was once a mustang himself. Now, he's my trusty steed, so yeah, it's possible."

(Y/n) placed a hand on Arthur's horse, stroking his shoulder gently. "What's his name?" She asked. She was very interested to know, especially since it's been over a week's worth of riding upon it.

"His name? His name is Baxter," said Arthur as he noticed (Y/n) gingerly touching him. He gave further information, " He's an Arabian breed, well-built and strong. Don't be afraid to pet him."

(Y/n) was scared of startling the horse, so Arthur held her hand in his to pet the horse. "See?" He said, "he won't fuss. Just don't spook 'em, and they'll like you fine." She blushed at his hand holding her own.

"Alright, I think I'm ready to find that horse," said (Y/n), after feeling more comfortable around the animal.

Arthur steadily approached the wild horse off in the distance. He warned (Y/n) to stand back while he tried to tame it. She worried for his safety as the mustang began to look agitated. "Whoa there, girl," he said, "I ain't here to hurt ya." His hands were raised in front of himself as he steadily closed the distance.

(Y/n) watched intently, ready to run to Arthur's side if anything went wrong. The horse huffed and moved in placed, almost choosing to flee. Eventually, Arthur was able to stand calmly next to the horse and pet it. He said, "there, there, you're fine. Nothin' is gonna happen." Then, almost hesitantly, he mounted the horse.

Almost instantaneously, the mustang began to neigh and buck around, kicking its hind legs in the air. (Y/n) gasped as she witnessed Arthur hang onto the horse for dear life. "Arthur!" She yelled, "don't die!"

The man hollered out, "Agh! I'm tryin' not to!" Arthur was holding the horse's neck as tightly as possible. Soon, he was bucked off after attempting to tame the wild mustang. There he laid in the grass as the horse ran off not too far from where he landed.

(Y/n) rushed to his aid. "Arthur!" She shouted, holding the man in her arms, "are you alright, love?" Her tone sounded understandably concerned. She turned his head that was cupped in her palms to inspect each side of his face.

He coughed, "Yeah, I'm fine. I think I got the air knocked out of my lungs, though." Clearly, he was in pain. Nothing was injured, fortunately, but he was hurting from the fall.

The woman felt a whirl of emotion. Quickly, she gave a quick peck onto his forehead, "I'll be right back." (Y/n) scrunched her face and sped along to catch up with the run-away mustang.

"What? What do you think you're doin', (Y/n)?" Yelled Arthur. Surely (Y/n) would not attempt to tame the horse herself, right?

She ignored his calls and slowed down her pace. (Y/n) was within close range from the mustang. She raised her hands like the way Arthur had done before. "I'm not going to try anything funny. Okay, girly?" Slowly but surely, (Y/n) was getting closer to the creature.

Arthur yelled once again in the distance; his words muffled. (Y/n) began to pet the horse, cooing and comforting it. "Did that mean, big old man scare you?" The horse neighed almost in reply.
(Y/n) chuckled and wrapped her arms around the horse's neck. "He's not that bad, trust me," she said. For a while, she spent the time to just pet the horse and continue talking to it in a calm tone. "now, come on and you can go apologize," said (Y/n) who started to lead the horse away.

After a few minutes passed, (Y/n) and her horse were standing right before Arthur. "How-" he began, only to pulled close by (Y/n). She quickly reached into his satchel to grab a peach. "I promised a treat if she followed me along our way back," she said, feeding the new mare.

"Well, I'll be damned," said Arthur, "you actually got the horse to calm down. Let me try and get on to see if she's ready to give a ride-"

Once again, (Y/n) got ahead of him. She hoisted herself up on the horse. She smiled, "see? The girl's as nice as they come!"

Arthur placed his hands on his hips. "You are full of surprises, Li'l Missy." He was shocked, and not just because of the fall. He continued, "How did you know how to handle a horse?"

The woman shrugged, "I thought that it couldn't be too difficult if you were able to get so close. Also, I could see your flaw. Unlike you, I took longer than a moment to become acquainted with this beautiful horse." (Y/n) was once again cooing and petting the horse. The horse neighed and startled them both. "She said 'sorry for throwing you off'," joked (Y/n).

The man whistled his horse over after laughing. Arthur mounted his horse, "Well, I guess I can find it in my heart to forgive her." He smiled to (Y/n), nudging with his head, instructing her to follow him.