Chapter Fourteen

Arthur pulled (Y/n) up. "Where are you going?" She asked.

"Well, we are goin' to see Mrs. Adler. I think she's up by now." He said.

(Y/n) did not know anyone really and was nervous to start meeting everyone. She further questioned, "and why are we doing that?"

Arthur turned to her, "you need some good clothes. Some that'll be easier for you to move about in. These dresses you got, they're real nice- but not for huntin' or fishin' or anythin' like that." He knew Sadie would understand (Y/n)'s situation and help her out. He could tell they had some similarities in a way.

"Alright," sighed (Y/n), "If you say so, then I trust you."

Arthur snickered, "I'm glad you trust me, but you don't have much of a choice even if you didn't."

She playfully hit his arm, "oh, bother." She smiled to herself. At least Arthur was kind to her. (Y/n) could feel a certain miasma in the camp that led her to believe she was unwelcomed. She hoped that was not the case.

"Mrs. Adler?" Called Arthur, "I have a favor to ask." Soon, shuffling of footsteps could be heard from within the tent.

Sadie had walked out, hands on her hips, "Arthur Morgan, what could you possibly need my help for? Robbin' somethin'? Or need an extra gun for a shootout you're plannin'?"

"Wait, what?" Said (Y/n) with furrowed brows. Had Arthur casually gone to do either one of those things before? She knew he said he was an outlaw, that he was wanted by the law, but (Y/n) had thought his crime was a onetime thing. Did he really continue these unjust acts casually?

Arthur, wanting to change the subject, waved his hands in disregard, "No, not neither one of those. I need you to let (Y/n) borrow some of your clothes. She's gonna have to wear somethin' better if she's gotta keep up with me."

Sadie squinted her eyes at (Y/n), "hmm...I think I got somethin' that'll fit you, come 'ere." She gestured the newbie of the group to follow her into her tent.

"Thanks, Sadie. You're bein' a real help," said Arthur. He turned around back to the camp, "come meet back with me once you're done, (Y/n)." He vaguely waved his hand, "I'll be, um, somewhere around the camp."

(Y/n) gulped and then faced Sadie. She was nervous, but the woman was letting her borrow some clothes, so she probably was not completely mean. She hoped.

"I said come 'ere, (Y/n)," Sadie said with a smile. She could tell Arthur's friend was anxious. She softened her face, "What? I don't bite. Well, I won't bite you at least- that is, if you don't mess with me." Sadie could see (Y/n) expression non-changing.

(Y/n) walked closer to the wardrobe being pointed at. "Thank you, Mrs. Adler. I do appreciate the help," she acknowledged. Her voice was a little shaky, but (Y/n) was calming down a bit more. She still was not sure how to perceive the group after Arthur had warned her earlier in the morning. She wondered what on Earth were they planning to do to her? Was Sadie in on whatever the other option was?

"It's nothin'," said Sadie as she sat down on a stool, patting the chair next to her for (Y/n) to sit down. After they both had sat down in a brief moment in silence, Sadie grabbed (Y/n) hand and softly smiled. "Look, I know almost exactly what you're goin' through right now," she continued, "I was in the same boat as you not too long ago."

Sadie paused, looked down in remembrance, then faced (Y/n) again. She said, "I used to live on a ranch with my husband, Jakey. We were married for three years, nearly four, and the O'Driscolls shot him dead." Her eyes began to water but she held up strong. "This gang, these nice folks here at the camp, they took me in after. It took me a while to let me trust them, too. But, they are good people, most of them are. And, yes, I've changed since then. Look at me, I'm going on strong. Hell, I'm better than before in a way."