The Only One I Can Trust

Start from the beginning

"I need your help."

I just gotta chuckle.

"Is that so? Well too bad for you because I'm not in the helping mood."

"Okay, I... I totally get that I have no right to ask for your help but there's no one else I can turn to, no one else I can trust. Even if you can't forgive me, you helping me would at least make us... even."

"Even?"

She runs a hand through her hair and looks at me. I shift my weight to my back foot and cross my arms over my chest.

"When you needed um, help... I was there for you. At the very least if you help me we'll be... even."

She is right. She was there when I needed her, no matter how things ended up between us, she was there. And I can't have something like that hanging between us.

"This doesn't change anything, between us I mean."

"I know."

She lowers her eyes again.

"I'm still mad at you."

"I get it."

We fall into silence again for a few seconds.

"So... what kinda arsenal you putting together for this little shindig?"

"We ARE the arsenal."

"What?"

"Well um, whatever's going down with Adam, it's going down tonight and...? I didn't really have time to gather the troops."

"So the Scoobies aren't coming?"

It takes her a second to answer.

Is something up with B and her Scoobies? Bah, what do I care?

"Okay so, no Scoobies."

"Yeah, they could get hurt."

"So, it's just you and me handing out a good old fashion slayer ass kicking. What about weapons?"

"Well I... I have a couple of stakes on me cause I was gonna go patrolling later but I guess that's out."

"Yeah I guess you've got bigger things to deal with."

"You could say that."

She takes a deep breath.

"Um, I do have something else that might help us."

"What's that?"

She reaches into her jacket pocket and pulls out a... a knife... my knife.

I... that could help her I guess.

"That could be a real help to you. Cut the big guy open and stuff."

She closes the gap between us.

"Not me..."

I look her in the eyes as she puts her hands out to hand it to me, her steady, confident eyes staring back at me.

"You."

Me? Is she serious?

I look down at my knife in her hands, the blade gleaming at me from the bad lighting overhead. I look her in the eyes again, the same look staring back.

"Are... are you sure?"

She holds it up a little higher.

"I'm sure."

I see the look in her eyes.

She means it, she really does.

I take the knife from her and hold it tightly.

"You're not worried I might..."

I twitch at her with a stabbing motion and she doesn't flinch in the slightest.

"... use it on you instead?"

She takes my hand with the knife in hers and guides it between us, blade upward. She puts it against her chest.

"I trust you."

She... she really means it. When did this happen? What could've happened that... forget it, we have more important things to worry about.

I take a step back and she lets go of my hand, giving me the knife.

"I think I have an axe somewhere here. You can use it if you want."

"Thanks."

I turn and go to the closet for the axe.

"We could use all the help we can get."

Don't I know it?

I pick up the long handled axe and turn back to her. She's pulling her hair back into a ponytail with elastic, revealing her beautiful neck.

Okay, back to the world in danger.

"Here."

I toss her the axe and she catches it no problem.

"Thanks."

She looks it over.

"Pretty wicked axe."

"Yeah I know. You ready?"

"Yup."

"Let's go."

We head out the door and lock it behind us.