| I | - Rekindled Friendship

Today marked the first day of Susanne's senior year of high school, exciting, right? She had prepared herself all summer to finally do the one thing she'd been waiting to do two years ago; she was going to confess to her first love and childhood friend, Liam Hollison. He was possibly everything she wanted in a boyfriend. Bright blue eyes, blond-shaggy hair, sun-kissed skin, tall and slender, muscles showing his hard work from being a quarterback all four years of high-school; not to mention the boy's smile, it was bright and white and truly mesmerizing. 

Susie had been admiring him from afar, allowing her feelings to hold strong through the year. She had really hoped this would pass but, it didn't and it showed no signs that it would. 

"Susie?" her father called from the other side of her bedroom door, knocking softly. "You awake in there?"

"Yes! I'm awake!" she called back, standing before her full length mirror and smiling widely. "I'll be down in a minute!"

Now, maybe you're wondering: Well, why didn't she confess her feelings sooner? Why wait two years? Well, that's easy enough. Susie has always struggled with her self confidence. It was hard for her to feel confident and happy with herself. She was plump and, although she was the Sheriff's one and only daughter, that didn't stop some of the girls at school from teasing. She never paid them much attention, but, deep down, she felt as if their words were true. 

She was shy and timid and hardly spoke her mind. She let people walk all over her, take advantage of her kindness and sympathy. She wasn't popular in school at all, people only knew her as the Sheriff's daughter and nothing else. 

She stood before her mirror, examining her outfit for the first day to school. She wore something she didn't usually wear; skinny jeans, a deep orange long-sleeve, and her black lace-up converse. She typically wore sweats or loose jeans, hardly skinny jeans, and she almost never wore tight fitting long-sleeves, those were usually loose too. This was her first step to becoming more fearless; wearing what she wanted to wear.

That sounds a little odd though, doesn't it? I mean, who dictates what you wear in the society we live in today? Well, you see, it's more of a matter that it was very hard for Susie to wear things that were risque to her, she stayed on the safe side most of her life. Wearing comfortable clothing to avoid being stared at, but, in order to become more confident in herself she had to push herself to wear something she'd never wear on the daily.

The skinny jeans clung tightly to her hips, making them a lot more noticeable. Her shirt was tucked in slightly at the front, allowing her a little bit of ease with this new outfit. She left her long, blond hair down, allowing it to flow over her shoulders almost like a drape, hiding some of her shirt and also giving her some ease. 

She stepped into her bathroom, examining her face closely. Her skin was riddled with light pink acne scars and had almost become invisible through her noticeably tan skin; she spent a lot of time at the beach and pool over summer. She applied the tiniest amount of concealer and stepped back, examining how that looked on it's own. She leaned forward again, apply the lightest amount of bronzer and blush. She groomed her brows and filled them in lightly, wanting to keep a much more natural type of look. Although, any look with make-up automatically becomes unnatural but she was much too scared to leave the house without some form of make-up on, even if it was the tiniest amount.

She looked at herself more clearly, turning her head to the side, then the other, using her hand to push some of the extra skin under her chin away to make it look as if her face was slim. When she released the skin, it revealed her very rounded face, chubby cheeks, and the double chin she hated.

Taking a deep breath, she silently rooted herself on and grabbed her shoulder bag, shoving her phone into her back pocket. 

"Susie! Come on, girl! It's time to go!" her father called from downstairs, forcing her to quickly spray on some perfume and dash out of her room and down the stairs. Her father gave her a shocked look when she came down the stairs, raising a brow at her and crossing his large and tattooed arms over his Sheriff's uniform. "My, my. Changing things up?"