22 - Glasses And Nicknames

Turns out I was correct about the next Soviet leader being really old and dying, as its now happened twice. The person in charge is currently Mikhail Gorbachev, someone with a bit different views about how one of the most powerful countries on earth should be run.

I see a bright future, a few blurry spots, but that could be because I'm not wearing my glasses right now. I can't find them and I can hardly see my thoughts clearly, that's how blind I am.

"Have you lost your glasses again, honey?" Roma complains as I stumble about like a lunatic.

"How can you tell, I didn't think it was obvious?" I reply sarcastically.

"You look like Velma from Scooby Doo, they're literally on the table in front of you, but you thought that the thinner frames were a good idea last time we went the opticians, so you can't see them as well." He comments, handing me my vision.

"Maybe I should glue them to my face, it'd help." I finally kick in once I can see. "Wait a second, did you call me honey?"

He flushes red before responding. "Yes. Everyone else seems to have cute couple names for each other, so I thought I'd try it out."

"I call you Roma sometimes, but you can't really shorten Canada I suppose." I say.

"That's why I called you honey." He says.

"I'm not complaining, only maple is tastier than honey." I object, smirking slightly.

"Maple it is." He concludes, "You are quite a snack after all."

"Romano!" I yell, flushing a deep red and hiding behind a pillow, eventually resorting to throwing it at him.

"Someone's not happy." he scoffs before strutting away.

I decide to shout after him, "And for once its not you." He turns his head to look at me, probably thinking he looks hella cool right now.

"Are you challenging me?" He slowly walks towards me.

He teasingly pauses, directly in front of me before leaping to tickle me. Even when I ask him to stop, he doesn't, leaving me in a fit of giggles.

"You have," I say in between laughs, "given me no choice." Before he can even act confused, I flip us over to get my revenge, aka just more tickles. I haven't seen him laugh this much since that guy fell over on live TV in front of millions of people.

I pause to adjust my position a little when I hear the lock open, followed by Italy bursting in. He was about to speak until he saw us.

"Am I interrupting something, do you want me to leave for an hour or so?" He says, looking at our (very suspicious) position.

"Why do you always appear at really unfortunate times?"

"I could have been five minutes later,"

"We weren't-"

"but I have news." He squeaks excitedly. "Guess what!"

"What?" Me and Roma say in unison.

"No, you've got to guess!"

"You got another dog, even though you want a cat." Roma suggests, despite the fact that he knows he's completely wrong.

"No! The east European countries are being given a bit more freedom! We may be able to see them in no time at all!" With every word, his voice gets higher, that is how excited he is.

"Does that mean people can leave now?" I ask curiously.

"Yes! Think of all the others we can see! Hungary, Prussia, Romania, all of them!" His voice now becomes squeaky and he smiles and his eyes disappear because of his smile. How can someone even smile that much?

Romano shifts underneath me - I must be getting a bit too heavy - and asks, "How long as this been going on?"

"A few hours, its already on the news!" I stand up to turn the television on, pressing all of the channels to try to find one with the news on. The presenter had just finished talking about something I didn't quite pick up on before they changed subject.

"Breaking news, just in, flocks of east Berliners are travelling to the newly open Hungary and escaping to the west. The Iron Curtain is broken!"

"Oh my god. They're all escaping. This is brilliant. That's sure to piss them all off." Romano whispers under his breath, probably thinking that no one could hear him.

"Its amazing, right!" He checks his watch, "I'd better go, ciao!" He says, smiling even more before leaving in a hurry.

"We need to take away his key."

Okay but like headcanon that Canada loves leaning on Romano, but because he's taller, its usually the other way around