17 - Family Gathering

"Canada, I'm sorry, we couldn't get him for one day. We did persuade Russia to let him write a letter to Germany." France apologised, "I thought we had him but then Brezhnev stepped in and shut the plan down."

"Its okay, I'm sure he'll be thrilled anyway. You did the best you could." I reassure him.

New Years Eve rolled around and I was super excited for tomorrow. Romano and I weren't planning to go to a party so we just stayed the night in. And as soon as the clock hit twelve we went to bed because we're lazy and tired.

The next day, we spent the entire morning making the house tidier, as we are quite messy people. Or at least Romano is.

The post comes at about one pm, a little later than usual. Looking through, I got some of those magazine things that I don't want, a letter from the bank and another letter which, judging by the address it came from, was Prussia's letter for Germany.

The next half hour or so was peaceful until I hear a knock at the door.

"Bonjour, mon ami! Nice to see you again!"

"Good day, Canada." I smile at my fathers standing at the door who I haven't seen in forever.

"Hello! You're the first ones here, I wasn't expecting you for another hour." I greet the pair and usher them inside.

"Its always better to be early."

"And we get to spend more time together!" I take them into the living room where I find Romano sitting on the sofa upside down with his feet on the top engrossed in a book.

"Romano! Its been so long!" France exclaims loudly. He's much more excited than I expected.

Romano glances up from his book to look at him. "It has." He says, his enthusiasm lacking. "Why are you here so early?"

"Punctuality is what makes a gentleman." France replies, mimicking England's accent terribly (not that I could do much better).

"Even I couldn't make you a gentleman, maybe a gentlefrog perhaps." England sulks, sticking his tongue out.

"Mon amour, there is enough gentleman in me if I got you to agree to go on a date."

"You invited me to your birthday party and gave me a few shots of vodka, did you expect me to not to accidentally perform a lap dance on you?"

"Ew, I could've gone my entire life without that image, why would you say that?" I complain.

"Its not the worst he's done."

"Oh my God! Can either of you stop? I don't want to know about your private life! I can't believe you've done this!" Saved by the bell has a completely new meaning now, because the doorbell went. Why is everyone so early?

"Heyo! Guess who's not late for once?" America yells through the letterbox. I open the door to see him crouched down, Japan standing behind him, looking extremely disappointed in this being that he decided to date.

"Why are you like this, brother?" I understand Japan so much right now, except for the dating part.

"I let him have a fizzy drink before he came." Japan apologises.

"Its fine really, come in, its cold out there."

That just leaves Italy, Germany and Spain. I feel kind of bad for him because he's going to be the only one without a partner. Romano on the other hand, would find the whole situation hilarious.

We sit and wait for the remaining three to arrive. Italy and Germany arrive about fifteen minutes before the actual time, yet Spain was five minutes late. His excuse was that he bumped into Greece on the way.

"Germany, we have something for you." I say, handing him the letter. He reads it peacefully before repeating it to us.

"Bruder, I am doing fine over here, depending on your definition of fine. I've done better, but for the USSR, I'm living in luxury. I wish I could have visited you instead, but at least this way, you have something of mine that isn't years old. It'd be easier if I didn't have the hair, the eyes and the hand, but they're just jealous because they can never be as awesome as me. I don't know how the rest of east Europe is holding up since I get hardly any news, but I'm sure there are people out there who have it worse, so don't worry about me. I can't wait until I can see you again, auf Wiedersehen!"

About half way through the letter, I saw a single tear roll down his cheek. By the end of the letter, he completely broke down. It breaks your heart, really. Imagine never being able to see your sibling or a person close to you for years on end. Seeing how annoying America and Prussia can get at times, you'd think it was a dream come true, but it apparently isn't.

We sit in silence for a few moments before its broken.

"Thank you."