Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

The summer heat was blazing. Heaven had wanted to take a dip in their pool, but decided against it. It was mainly due to the fact that her husband had called her in a panic. His mother had called him to finally tell him that his grandmother's condition was getting worse. The fact that she wouldn't tell Quincy exactly what the problem was hurt him. Heaven sympathized with her husband, but knew that Sharon or Barbra would tell her, either.

The color block black and white sheath dress for her snug as she entered the office of Dr. Montgomery. Heaven had asked for an emergency meeting with her husband, which shocked Dr. Montgomery. She went on and on about how she was disappointed in them for canceling two separate sessions, but they were simply enjoying one another. Now, Quincy was about to take another blow, and Heaven couldn't continue to ignore the signs. She bypassed the receptionist's desk and immediately went inside. She opened the door to find Quincy had already made it.

"Hey, Heaven," Dr. Montgomery greeted happily from her seat. The couple had already informed Dr. Montgomery that they wouldn't be speaking unless they were both in the room. Even though that saddened her, she respected their decision.

"Hey. How are you?" Heaven asked before sitting down next to her husband. Their hands immediately connected. Dr. Montgomery watched as Quincy stroked the back of his wife's hand with his thumb. The affection showed her that no love was lost between the couple.

"I'm fine. How are you, both?"

Heaven looked to her husband and smiled. "We're fine."

"How fine?"

Quincy released a deep breath. Today, it was his turn to do the talking. Heaven was, actually, fine. She'd consumed herself with the newfound responsibilities of planning their wedding ceremony and furnishing their soon-to-be new home. She was also working to sell their current home.

"My grandmother is in the hospital," he informed the doctor.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Why?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "My mother and my grandmother feel that it's best that I don't know."

"Why do you think that they feel that way?"

"My reaction."

Sympathetically, the nurse looked at Quincy. "If my memory serves me right, you're a mama's boy and a grandmama's baby."

Quincy couldn't help the smile. Long before they got married, it was Heaven that made him realize that. He wasn't the type of mama's boy that believed everything that his mother said. He also didn't put his mother before his wife. Sharon, Barbra, and Heaven had previously to just let their roles be. "That's true."

The smile was contagious to the room. Everyone enjoyed listening to Quincy talk about his relationship with his mother and grandmother. It was a beautiful relationship. "You seem proud of it," Dr. Montgomery pressed.

"I am," Quincy told her. "I'm very much so proud to say that I love my mother and my grandmother. I love them to death. They raised me from a little boy to be a man. They didn't have that man figure, because my father's way of being a man was controlling the streets."

"So you knew your father?"

Quincy nodded. "My father pops up from time to time. He made it clear when I was entering high school that if I needed anything taken care of it to simply let him know. The streets were fearful of him, therefore they were fearful of me."

"Did you like that?"

Quincy shook his head. "Nah. I didn't like people being afraid to talk to me or share their opinion about me. If you didn't like me, I would've wanted to know without you thinking I was going to make a phone call and have something happen to you or your family."