Chapter Three

Chapter 3

"Heaven, where are you? Call me back, please."

"Heav. I've called you a million times. I just wanna make sure you're alright. Text me or something."

"Dammit, Heaven, where are you? I went to Christi's and she said you weren't there. Your mother is at work, so I know you didn't go there. Answer your phone!"

Heaven sighed at the voicemails left on her phone. It was a good five o'clock in the morning, and she still hadn't been able to find sleep. She knew that Quincy was sober now, but she still couldn't deal with him. The last thing that she needed was another argument with the man that's supposed to love her. She looked around the beautiful green and white guest bedroom that she had been lying in. It was a bedroom that had grown familiar to her over the years. She remembered the time when she received the excited phone call about how her best friend, Christi, had purchased her first home. This had been the first room that they decorated together.

"Still no luck?" Christi asked from the bedroom door. She had been referring to the fact that Heaven was up and wasting her electricity instead of finding sleep. Heaven gave her a warm smile before shaking her head. "Still no luck," she responded.

Sighing, Christi entered the bedroom and climbed in the bed with her best friend. "You've been here hours, and I still don't know why. Your husband showed up."

Heaven smirked. "I know, and thank you for lying."

Christi rolled her eyes. "You know I hate lying to that man. I was actually shocked he believed me. He looked so distraught."

Heaven shrugged her shoulders. "I just wished he'd realize the person he is when he's drunk. I don't like that person, and I don't wish to be around that person."

"Is it really that bad?" Christi asked. Heaven thought of how she could explain it. Quincy had always been careful about where he got drunk. It wasn't something that he liked to put on display for the world to see. It was a flaw, and only his close relatives and Heaven knew about it. It wasn't likely that Quincy wanted people to know his weaknesses. Even with all the years that the couple knew Christi, she'd never had to endure the pain of seeing the monster.

"He's horrible. He's so...hostile and angry when he's drunk. Like...you know Q. You know he's the sweetest person, but drunk? Quincy can be the meanest person. He'll make you feel like you're the lowest person in the world."

Christi frowned at the newfound news. She had never known this side of Quincy, but she wasn't trying to see it for herself. "And he made you feel that way?"

"He blames me for her death. He says it's my fault," Heaven responded without looking at Christi. No one had known the details of what happened that day. Quincy and Heaven made sure to keep it at a minimum, simply letting everyone know the cause of her death. Heaven didn't wish to tell anyone about the day in fear that everyone would blame her. It was enough that Quincy blamed her. Quincy's excuse was that he just didn't want anyone in their business.

"What?" Christi asked in disbelief. Even though she didn't know the details of the day, she refused to sit and cosign the fact that Heaven was to blame. She wouldn't even blame Quincy for the three year old's death. It was simply an unfortunate event for the couple. "How are you to blame for what happened, Heav?"

Heaven sighed, knowing that she was going to have to tell Christi. One thing she knew about Christi was that she never took sides in Quincy and Heaven's squabbles. She simply let the two of them vent and then tell them to work it out. Usually, they argued about things that could be overlooked in a few hours or days, but this was different. This was basically calling someone a murderer. Heaven opened her mouth, and began telling Christi the details from the night before up until when she found out the news.