Chapter 1-Magical Berries

Start from the beginning

"Is everyone enjoying their breakfast?" a course of yes's went around the room as one of the girls smirked at me from across the table.

"Did you enjoy your breakfast upstairs Ebony?" her friends snickered with her as Sheera tried to quiet them down. I could hear some of the other kids whispering names under their breath towards me but one look from Sheera shut them up.

"That's enough, now we will be treating Ebony with some respect; we're all family here. Is that understood?" everyone nodded and I lightly smiled; maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

I saw one of my old roommates get up and walk towards me with some raspberries and I suddenly felt sick to my stomach.

"Did you want some Raspberries Ebony-" I watched as she pretended to trip and shoved the berries on my shirt. It was silent before the room erupted with laughter. I shot up from my chair as berries dripped from my chest. I looked around as they laughed and I thought I was going to pass out. I ran out and up the stairs and I heard Sheera yelling at everyone. I shut my door and locked it as I looked in the mirror; one of my only shirts was now ruined. My shirt that was pink was now splashed with a dark red. I took it off and threw it in the corner; it stuck to the wall for a moment before it fell; leaving a print on the wall. I looked back at the mirror as tears ran down my face; suddenly the mirror shattered making me scream. But I was used to this; this is what my life was like. I threw myself in my bed; having it make a rickety old sound as I landed. I let tears fall onto my pillow; I should have never gone down with Sherra; I should've known that they would've done something like this.

Soon, I grew tired and fell asleep; hoping that this was all a dream.

Something I've been hoping of for the last 5 years.

~~~

........

"Ebony"

........

"Ebony wake up" who's talking to me?

"Ebony come on" I recognize that voice.

"Ebony!" my eyes shot open as Sheera jumped back; she grabbed her chest and shook her head at me.

"Get up, someone's here for you" I blinked a couple of times before I jumped out of bed,

"You're shitting me" she raised a brow at me and I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Sorry, you're kidding me" she smiled and shook her head.

"I'm not, there's a man down there and he says that he's interested in meeting you" a smile came to my face as I ran to the bathroom. I still smelt like fruit so I quickly jumped in the shower and washed my body. Getting out I brushed my hair and put on some jeans and a t-shirt. I looked in the mirror and smiled, I was going to try really hard to get out of here.

I bounded down the stairs and stopped in front of the doors that led you into a room where you meet your potential guardians. I've never been inside because I'm one of the oldest here and a lot of people want the younger ones. I took a deep breath and turned the knob; opening the door and walking inside. There, I saw Sherra on the right side of the table and a man with long white hair and beard sitting on the other. He had round glasses and was wearing a funny looking robe that covered his feet; and a pointed hat.

"There she is; Ebony this is Albus Dumbledore" I smiled and waved at him as he smiled back at me. I watched Sheera get up and walk toward the door,

"I'll let you two mingle; let me know if you need anything" I shook my head when she said mingle; she always tried to use modern slang but never seemed to use it at the right times. I turned back to Dumbledore and walked over; sitting down across from him.

"So you're Ebony, you're 16 and still stuck here?" I nodded and smiled awkwardly; it went silent after.

"I'm guessing you're wondering why an old man like me is wanting to adopt" I smiled and shrugged which made him chuckle. I watched as he reached into his robe and took out a beige envelope with a red stamp in the middle.

"I came to give you this Ebony" I raised a brow at him but took the envelope; ripping open the top half and taking the letter out.

To Miss Ebony

135 Winsler Lane

6th bed on the right

My brow rose when I read that part, how did they know that I owned the 6th bed on the right? kinda creepy but I continued to read otherwise.

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term starts September 1st. we will await your Owl no later than July 31st.

Yours Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

"...This is a joke right?" I looked up from my letter but Dumbledore was still smiling at me. I put the paper down on the table and got up from my seat; he watched me the whole time.

"Thank you so much for the offer but I don't think-" I looked down at the paper "-Hogwarts is the place for me" I put my had on the door and was about to walk out.

"Have you ever done something you couldn't explain because you were scared? Or angry?" I stopped as my breathing hitched; I immediately thought back to my bed,

"Ahhh!"

"She's on fire!" I opened my eyes and screamed with the other girls as I watched the bed burn up in flames all around me. I quickly jumped up and ran to the bathroom; turning on the shower head and drenching my body; I watched as steam rolled off of me from the flames before I turned the shower off. I heard the fire extinguisher being used as one of the girls walked in the bathroom with large eyes,

"How did your bed catch on fire that's impossible" I opened my mouth but at this point I was a fish out of water; I didn't know what to say. Then, she pointed a shaky hand at me,

"Freak" she whispered; my eyes widened as she got louder; causing attention to the other girls who started to chant with her.

"Freak"

"Freak!

"FREAK!" tears fell from my eyes as I was suddenly surrounded by my roommates as they shoved me back into the wet tub; chanting names at me.

My eyes widened at the memory and Dumbledore gave me a look.

"Hogwarts will help you control and use your gifts" he slid the paper closer to me as I glanced down at it.

Maybe he's right.