Happy Birthday, Love

"I don't know what to say!" Harley gushed, as she opened the gift from Lucy

"I don't know what to say!" Harley gushed, as she opened the gift from Lucy. It was a large bag from Louis Vuitton and a Sinatra record. "You didn't need to get me all this darling!" She could feel tears welling into her eyes, but she gulped then back. What she didn't realise though, was that everyone was watching her gulp like a mad woman.

"We have a few more gifts, but your mum and I are going to grab the cake," Joe smiled, kissing Harley on the cheek. As the two walked into Harley's kitchen, Joe sighed in happiness. "I still can't believe Rufus found those bumblebee tights she wore as a kid. She talked about them so much."

"They were great friends, they were each others favourite cousin and Harley never left his side when he had his car accident," Joe smiled softly at what he heard. Harley was such a kind person, and he was so excited that they would soon get a child like her.

"It's crazy how good she looks for 5 months pregnant though," Joe laughed, looking to see Susan nod. "Now, let's grab this cake," Joe opened the refrigerator quickly, looking for the birthday cake. It was a short and stubby chocolate cake, just like Harley's favourite from childhood. It was covered in chocolate frosting, with lines of white chocolate piped across the top.

"Well, Joe, I think it's missing something." Susan hummed.

"Candles?"

"No, not that. Do you have any sprinkles?" Joe turned, opening the cupboards to look. He soon found sprinkles in Harley's well-organised baking cupboard.

"How are these?" He asked, handing them to Susan.

"Perfect!" She exclaimed, sprinkling them over the top. As the two place the candles all over the cake, they lit them up carefully. Together, they walked into the living room. Harley was crying in joy at the sight of the cake.

"Oh my God! Is that a Woolworths mud cake replica?" She shrieked, causing the room to erupt in laughter.

"Only you would know what I was trying to achieve," Joe grinned as he placed the cake down and kissed Harley on the forehead softly.

"I still have one gift left," Harley pouted, pointing to the large box on the floor.

"That's from me. We can open it after cake," Joe responded, a smile slowly forming at the corner of his lips. The room erupted into song as they all sang a round of happy birthday. Rami and Lucy smiled to each other as they watched Joe look lovingly at his girlfriend. While Ben and Gwilym held each other, crying over the beautiful sight. As Harley blew out the candles, Joe looked to her and bit his lip. "What did you wish for?"

"If you tell a wish it won't come true my love," Harley responded, kissing Joe on the cheek. Susan began to cut the cake and Harley grew impatient at what her last present was. "Can I open my present now, Joe?" She asked, her bottom lip pushed forward.

"Okay, okay," He laughed grabbing the box and placing it in Harley's lap. As she began to open it, the large box opened to show a smaller box inside.

"What the hell, Joe," Harley laughed, continuing to open the present. Joe and Susan just looked at each other as the other four looked to Joe confused and excited. Each box Harley opened she found a smaller one inside, until she reached the last box. It was small, red and velvety. Harley picked the box up, her hands shaking. "Joe I-I," She began, a small smile creeping upon her lips.

"Harley Davidson- I mean, Croft. I love you so much. And I can't put into words how much I do. So, I decided to show you instead," Joe grabbed the box out of Harley's trembling hands and opened it. Inside was a small ring, a shining diamond placed softly in the middle of it. As Harley wiped a tear from her face, the door opened suddenly. Steve walked into the room, anger spreading over his face.

"I said I would be back. What great timing too," he snarled.

"Steve, leave," Susan warmed, pointing to the door.

"Why would I listen to you?" He retorted a laugh escaping his lips.

Susan stood up carefully, a glare forming in her eyes. "Listen here, Steve. Your mother and I are very good friends. And I don't think she would like to here you come in here and be an absolute dick to my daughter on her birthday! Now I suggest you leave before I make you."

"No." He growled, shoving her out of the way.

"Judy girl, grab my pepper spray,"

"For the last time, my name is Jude!" Jude sighed, rolling her eyes and running to grab the pepper spray.

"Steve, nobody wants you here. I'm engaged and we will never get back together," Harley said, standing up angrily to face him.

"An engagement means nothing," he replied.

"Are we just going to ignore the fact she said yes to my proposal?"

"Not now, Joe," Harley smiled. "Steve, I am engaged, five months pregnant and sick of your bullshit."

"You-you're pregnant?" Harley nodded, walking towards Joe to grab his hand. He quickly placed the ring on her finger and the two looked at each other, full of love and longing. Steve looked towards the ground and groaned.

"As I said before, fucking leave," Susan said, her eyebrow twitching intensely. Steve continued to stand there, so Jude grabbed his arm and dragged him out.

"See ya bitch," Jude waved, slamming the door behind him.

"Can we try that again?" Joe grinned, kneeling on the ground and looking up at Harley. "I wanted a way to show you how much I love you, Harley. And this is the first thing I thought of, so I am really glad you already have the ring on your finger," Harley giggled and wiped a tear from her eyes, "Harley Croft, will you marry me?"

"No, I just thought I'd wear the ring. Of course, Joe!" The party cheered, as Joe swept Harley up in a hug. The feeling of her black, sequinned sweater filled Joe's heart with comfort.

"I'm so glad you said yes, my plan b was to propose to Ben. He already promised he would say yes," Joe grinned at Harley, who turned her head to Ben, who was holding his champagne glass up and giving an over emphasised wink.

"I love you so, very much, fiancé."

"I love you too, fiancé."

Oof
~ rosedeacy

Oof~ rosedeacy