A Meeting

Time: 11:16amDate: December 16th 2018Setting: Washington Square, New York

Time: 11:16am
Date: December 16th 2018
Setting: Washington Square, New York

"Yes, I finished my grocery shopping. I am trying that recipe you sent, the one with the eggplant. Yeah, mum I will. Take care, love you too." Harley says hanging up the phone as continues walking, her head was lost in the clouds, New York was beautiful in the winter. She had only been in New York a year, and was getting ready to start as a university professor at NYU School of Law. She had a while to go before she could officially teach. Smiling, she turns a corner, slipping on a piece of ice and bumping into someone, who makes her fall down suddenly. 

"I am so sorry!" Harley looks up to see a man, a scarf draped around his neck looking worried as he reaches down to help her up. He looks familiar, but she does not know how.

"Its totally fine," She says as she tries to get up, but her ankle throbs, "my ankle feels somewhat busted though." His eyes widen, and he looks incredibly guilty. He grabs her, so she is able to stand. Then turns to face Harley once again.

"There is a wonderful cafe down here, just across the crosswalk. Think you can make it? I can get an ice pack for your ankle and a coffee to say sorry." She smiles and nods. The man wraps his arm around her waist and Harley holds him by the shoulders. As they try and walk, they struggle and almost fall over. The man looks at her and frowns, furrowing his brows. "You know there is an easier way to do this." Harley looks his way, tilting her head in confusion.

"And what is that?" She asks, but before she can even contemplate what it could be, the man scoops her into his arms in a bridal hold, then runs over the road to the cafe. Harleys giggles could be mistaken for a hyena, but she didn't care. She was enjoying herself. The man puts her down and flashes a giant smile.

"That. That was the easier way." Harley looks at the mysterious man, still puzzled by how familiar he looked. "I am Joe by the way. Joe Mazzello." Harley holds out her hand to shake his, saying,

"Harley. Harley Croft. I feel weird asking this, but, do I know you? You look incredibly familiar." Harley laughs as Joe smiles.

"I am an actor, you may have seen me in some movies." Harley smiles and nods. "Anyway, shall we go inside? I love going in here because it is so private." Joe leads Harley to a small booth in the back and grins. "So, what kind of coffee would you like?" Harley looks up and bites her lip.

"Well, I know we came to get coffee but, could I get an English breakfast tea? With milk." A smile grows on Joe's face.

"Praise the Lord! Someone likes tea here!" Harley laughed as hard as she had ever done before, her eyes glistening with tears from Joe's odd response.

"Joe, I am not from here." Harley says as she continues to laugh.

"Oh, are you here on like a family vacation?" Joe's eyes look sadder as he says family.