The Question

(Listen to the song above with earphones for the best experience)

Time: 7:48pm
Date: December 30 2018
Setting: Harleys Apartment

Harley was nervous.

Incredibly nervous.

She turned the corner, skidding along a rail, bumping into Joe. "Goddamnit move your mushroom ass out of my way!" Harley yelled at Joe, slamming the buttons on her controller. "You're making me more anxious than I already am! I have to beat you AND this Luigi ass fuckwit!" Joe wheezed as Harley knocked his controller out of his hands, thumping into his stomach. As she crossed the finish line, Harley danced in celebration as Joe went to pick up his controller.

"This is not over. We are doing this again and I am taking your spot on that leaderboard." Harley looked up at Joe with a smile on her face. This is what she had always wanted. To find true friendship. She did not care that she was only finding it at age thirty three, as long as she found it. She closed her eyes and lay her head against Joe as they listened to the song on the record player. It was Somebody To Love. It seemed ironic that it was on, seeing as at that moment everything seemed romantic and perfect. But it was there. Joe gulped and took a large breath in. He was going to ask Harley to be his girlfriend. They were not drunk, unless you count chocolate milk as a type of alcohol. It seemed childish, but to the two of them it was the greatest thing. Sitting down, listening to Queen, drinking chocolate milk with some fast food and playing Mario Kart. "Can I ask you something?" Joe asked, biting his lip in worry.

"Of course. Fire away! But if it has to do with me telling you how I win Mario Kart, not gonna happen." Joe smiled at Harleys joke, running a hand through his hair.

"I know we have only been hanging out for a few weeks now, but I want to do this more often. Cause I need more excuses to try and thrash you in Mario Kart." He was getting nervous now, making up excuses to slow down the process of asking her.

"Joe, stop procrastinating and ask me already!" Harleys eyes were gleaming with excitement, making Joe a little less nervous.

"Okay, I want to have more nights like this. But I want to do it as your boyfriend. I want to be more than best friends. You make me happy. Even though I swear you're gonna piss me off one day with Mario Kart, I am winded because of you." Harley moved closer to Joe, holding his face in her hands. He enjoyed the feeling of her soft red sweater.

"Joe, I would love to continue beating your ass in Mario Kart as your girlfriend." Joe smiled as Harley leaned down and softly kissed him on the lips, both of them stopping to smile and laugh. The song ended and Love of My Life came onto the record player. "I swear this record player knew what was up!" Harley laughed as Joe leaned his head back, laughing too. The moment was sweet, as Joe pulled the large blanket over the two of them as they lay together, savouring the perfect moment. Joe suddenly felt Harley relax into his hug, she had fallen asleep. Joe smiled and kissed her forehead.

"Goodnight." Joe whispered, leaning back and turning the television off. He sat there, Harley lightly snoring next to him, thinking. Would they tell their friends tomorrow on New Years Eve? Would they be happy for him? Of course they will. Joe thought. They're the ones who made me ask her out! Joe was over the moon. He glanced over at the clock, it was only a bit past eight but he was tired, and he didn't want to wake Harley up, so he shifted carefully to his back, slowly falling asleep with Harley still intertwined in his arms.

I know this is only a short chapter, and I normally dont really want to write ones less than 1k words but I just wanted to get to this point in the story so it could sail along perfectly. Idk if i wanna add any like ex's into this because theyre just too cute (in my opinion) and i don't want to ruin how good this is getting!
Love you all and I hope you are excited for the next chapter!
~ rosedeacy ♡