nocturne

Taeyong's eyes shot up as soon as they finally reached a city with high-built walls. He had Mark on a piggyback ride because the younger was tired and he wasn't allowing anyone other than himself to take care of his brother especially with what happened tonight.

Painful light flashes were pointed at them and they were sure it was from the watchtowers who probably wanted people to get blind before getting into a proper fight.

"Relax! They're with me!", Jaehyun alarmed everyone and the two big metal gates opened to a dimly lit main road.

Taeyong haven't been to any city or kingdom or a group's den. But he knew Mark did since their parents would sometimes bring him when they went out to travel and he was always left with Yuta and Taeil.

He was fine with it though. He was able to spend more time with them. Yet he also knew he felt disappointed. He knew his condition and why he couldn't go—it was for the better. But I guess, a kid's happiness would still bug him.

They entered and soon they saw people walking around. Most of them were wearing the normal clothing of the kingdoms but some of them were wearing the black ones like Jaehyun and his friends do.

It was only now that he noticed the faces that he's been walking with the whole time. They looked normal and happy—far from how Taeyong thought they were.

"I'll bring you guys to the headquarters.", Jaehyun announced and gave a glance behind him and Taeyong only looked at the damp cemented road they're walking on.

"Sure, Yoonoh. That would actually be great.", Yuta said and bobbed his head up and down in approval. Jaehyun could only roll his eyes while the redhead furrowed his eyebrows. Yoonoh? Did he change his name or something?

His mind was bothered when he heard children running around. He looked to his left to see a fountain with kids running and playing around. A kid was currently pushed into the fountain which got his clothes wet and he started crying.

There were others who played tag while some talked and played with toys and flowers.

Taeyong smiled at the thought when they were who they were back then.

And soon faded.

"Come in.", Jaehyun welcomed and opened two big double doors. He didn't even realized they already reached the headquarters—which he would call a fucking castle. Cuz, let's face it, it actually is.

They walked in and was met with the dimly lit place with a few maids and guards standing on watch.

A maid approached Jaehyun and gave a small bow. "Your Majesty, welcome back. Would you like anything, perhaps?", she asked and looked with hopeful eyes, which skimmed through the people behind in curiosity.

"Prepare the guest bedrooms. And make sure that the gates are all locked.", he ordered in a soft manner and the maid bowed right away, rushing out of their sight.

Taeyong's brows furrowed at what just happened. Why did I realize only now, he thought. Jaehyun was the leader, of course. What else would he be with such power and such clothes.

Instead of being surprised with who his new 'caretaker' was, he was more of annoyed. He'd rather sleep outside in the freezing cold than stay here. He despised people with power and ordered people around, taking advantage of what they have.

He may be a leader himself but he never considered himself one.

In his team, everyone was good at one thing or another and would have at least once when problems abide when things happen.

They walked up the grand staircase, some of his friends admiring the soft carpeted floors, and polished walls. It was elegant to say the least but it brought back so many memories Taeyong hated.

Jaehyun led each one of them to different rooms, ending with only Yuta, Jaehyun and Taeyong himself with Mark on his back. Jaehyun's other friends left, saying they needed to work on something else and 'they' would come back.

Who was 'they' though?

"Here we are.", Yuta smiled and opened a door and Taeyong carefully dropped Mark's body onto the bed. He stared at his brother's peaceful face and pushed a few strands of hair away from the kid's forehead.

A small smile showed on Taeyong's face before he pulled the blanket up until the younger's chest. He gave him a kiss on the forehead before turning to Yuta with Jaehyun behind him.

He gave them a nod and they walked out of the room, closing the door silently. They walked farther down the hallway and Yuta reached for another door. He opened it revealing another room for Taeyong.

They entered and the older looked around the room, admiring the calm atmosphere the room held.

He heard Jaehyun clear his throat.

"C'mon, Yuta. Let's get your wounds checked. Let's leave Taeyong to rest for now.", he urged and held Yuta's shoulder. Yuta nodded and crossed his arms over his shoulders.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Yongie.", he mumbled and gave a toothless smile before walking out the door with Jaehyun, Taeyong's eyes following as the door clicked shut. He turned to look at the bee before he walked his way to the bathroom.

He switched the light on and he looked at his own reflection. He was tired. He had dark bags under his eyes and his lips were chapped. He had a bruise on his right cheek and a cut on his shoulder.

He stripped off of his clothes and decided to get a warm bath before taking his sleep. He went under the showerhead, the warm water flowing right down his body, relaxing his tensed body and allowing the warmth surround him away from the winter cold.

After taking a shower, he wrapped a towel around his waist and decided to head.

He saw another door by the room and he guessed it would probably be the walk-in closet. From what he last knew, castles do. He opeend the door to be engulfed in the scent of new clothes.

He took a pair of black sweatpants and a pair of boxers before slipping them on. He rubbed his hair with the towel before deciding to take a shirt from the closet. He wore the large black shirt over his head, falling onto his shoulders, subtly exposing his protruding collarbones.

He walked out and hung the towel by the bathroom.

He frantically searched for some medicine and bandages that might be in the cabinets in the bathroom but his shoulders sagged when he found none.

He turned off the lights, allowing the lamp to stay open and walked over to the bed before slumping his body onto the soft mattress.

As he was about to close his eyes, he heard someone right outside the hallway. His head turned up to look at the door, hearing the footsteps—no, it wasn't a person at all.

He heard a soft tap by the door and he cautiously walked over to the door, opening it quietly to be met with a big purely white german shepherd. He entered the room, trudging in as he sniffed onto my leg.

I closed the door lightlg and bent down to his level. I looked down to his collar to see his name—Snow. I stared at his eyes, the dark orbs staring right back at me. He whimpered and placed his paws on my shoulders.

My eyes widened in confusion at the breed's actions but soon calmed down when I felt his head lean against my right shoulder—as if he was hugging me. I let out a light chuckle and hugged his soft fur back.

I looked down back onto his collar. It was a black leather collar that had a dark red ruby pendant dangling in the middle.

Taeyong stared at it.

Where did he see it?